You load the standard Actual Utilization report and notice the Actual Utilization field is showing 0% for some (or all employees) even though you now work was recorded for that period.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the Business Analytics work center.
- Access the Design Reports work center view.
- Locate and open the Actual Utilization report.
- Input the mandatory key figures and add any relevant filters.
- Run the report.
- Value for Actual Utilization column is displaying as 0% for some employees.
In order to explain the cause, we must first determine how the Actual Utilization field value is generated.
As stated in the SAP Help Portal, actual utilization is calculated by the following formula: ( Actual Work + Absence ) / Gross Capacity, where:
Actual Work represents the number of hours the resource has worked on identified projects in a specific time period, where time recording has been performed for project work by the resource. Therefore, actual work is the sum total of all time recordings performed for all projects by the resource within a specified time period.
Absence includes all absences maintained by the resource. It does not include any scheduled holidays based on the resource's Working Day Calendar.
Gross Capacity is the sum total of all the planned working time of all days for which the report is requested for. Gross capacity includes all holidays as per the applicable time model, public holidays, and so on.
The gross capacity is essentially how much hours the employee was expected to hour for the period on which the report is run — weeks, months etc. — and is illustrated in the Actual Utilization as the Demand key figure. The planned working hours of an employee are determined by this employee's work schedule.
If no work schedule is assigned to the employee(s), the Demand/Gross Capacity will be zero. Since the value for Actual Utilization is determined dividing by Gross Capacity and division by zero is not possible, if Gross Capacity is zero, then Actual Utilization will be zero independent on how much actual work was recorded by the employee(s) for that period.
Please ensure that the employees for which Actual Utilization is being reported as 0% actually have a work schedule assigned to them. You can do this by following the instructions below:
- Go to the Time Administration work center.
- Access the Employees work center view.
- Search for the relevant employee.
- Select the employee's row and click Edit.
- Navigate to the Time Profile tab.
- At the bottom of the Time Profile section, select the Work Schedules sub-tab.
- If no work schedule is assigned, the Time Model field under the Predefined Work Schedule section will be empty.
For information on how to assign a work schedule, please check the "See Also" section. If a work schedule is assigned to the employee, but still Actual Utilization is showing as 0%, kindly report an incident to SAP Product Support for further analysis.
Assign a Work Schedule, from the SAP Help Portal
Actual Utilization, 0%, Report , KBA , SRD-HR-RPM , Resource Pool Management , Problem