I try to add Japanese or Chinese characters in a field and there is an erro message saying that I have exceeded the maximum allowed number of characters, even if I have used less than the maximum.
SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting Management
Reproducing the Issue
- Add a text using Chinese or Japanese characters to a field in RCM
- Save it, and an error will show saying that the maxim size is exceeded
- You check and you have user fewer characters than indicated.
Since English have a reduced number of characters, each character may be encoded with one byte (256 possibilities).
On the other hand, since other languages (such as Japanese and Chinese) have a larger number of Characters, they cannot be encoded using a single byte, and will be using two or more bytes, in a so-called "double byte" or "multi-byte" encoding.
This means that those characters will count as 2 or more English characters.
- You may use an "UTF-8 byte counter" to adjust your text (e.g. https://mothereff.in/byte-counter).
- Or you may create an enhancement request to increase the size of the field you are trying to use (if that is not already available via configuration)
Characters, maximum size, Chinese, Japanese, UTF-8, field size , KBA , LOD-SF-RCM-POR , Career and Agency Portals , How To