On March 20, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced it will exercise discretion to defer the physical presence requirements associated with Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9), under Section 274A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This announcement is the DHS response to precautions being implemented by employers and employees, related to physical proximity limitations associated with COVID-19.
Employers with employees taking physical proximity precautions, due to COVID-19, will not be required to review the employee’s identity and employment authorization documents in the employee’s physical presence; however, employers must inspect the Section 2 documents remotely (for example, over video link, fax, or email, etc.) and obtain, inspect, and retain copies of the documents, within three business days.
Once normal operations resume, all employees who were onboarded using remote verification, must report to their employer within three business days for in-person verification of identity and employment eligibility documentation for Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Once the documents have been physically inspected, the employer should add “documents physically examined” with the date of inspection to the Section 2 additional information field on the Form I-9.
Note: Please refer to the full guidance HERE.
As part of our response to the COVID-19 scenario, since June 19th the Onboarding application provides new functionality to help employers initiate physical verification after the national emergency has ended. The patch process will include the following:
- Employees who didn’t complete physical verification will be notified through emails and asked to bring their original documents for verification once the emergency has ended.
- Hiring managers/Corporate representatives will receive email reminders prompting them to complete the physical inspection.
- The employees/new hires will move to the work queue depending on whether Physical deferred.
- Hiring managers/Corporate representatives will be able to use the COVID-19 searchable filters to view the candidates in the work queue so they can take necessary actions.
- The reporting of I9_Covid19_PhysicalInspection
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Onboarding 1.0
sf, success factors, ONB, OBD, on boarding, Physical Inspection, Remote Inspection, Validation issue, required LisB and ListC, validation error, could not pass the panel, INC0070734 , KBA , LOD-SF-OBD-I9 , I9 Issues and requests for Onboarding , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP ONE Support launchpad (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.