In an Earned Profit analysis, you are comparing the Net Sales Revenue key figure from the Profit Overview By Key Figure report with the Invoiced Net Revenue key figure form the Invoice Volume report. However, the amounts do not match.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Business Analytics work center.
- Go to Design Reports view.
- Open the Profit Overview by Key Figure report.
- Open the Invoice Volume report.
- Apply the selection that matches in both reports (company, product category, Time Frame, Accounting Period/Year).
You see that the Net Sales Revenue and Invoiced Net Revenue do not match.
Among different reasons that could cause a difference between these reports, there are:
- The related customer invoice remains as an unposted source document or has an associated process communication error.
- The Profit Overview by Key Figure is based in the accounting period/year of the invoice's journal entry, while the Invoice Volume is based on the invoice's time frame. If these dates are different in the invoice, it will cause differences between the reports. Hence, if you are running both reports for e.g. April but you have an invoice with Document Date also in April but posting Date in May, the Invoice Volume considers this invoice but the same is now shown in the Profit Overview by key Figure. The invoice will be accounted in the Profit overview by Key Figure when the selection is made for May, since it considers the Account Period/year.
- The invoice may be present in both the Invoice Volume report and in the Profit Overview by Key Figure, nevertheless the invoice amount is in blank in the key figure Net Sales Revenue, even though it is present in other key figures from the Profit Overview by Key Figure report. Since you are comparing the Net Sales Revenue with the Invoice Sales Revenue and the Net Sales Revenue shows in blank for a specific invoice, a difference is noticed. The way the amounts are populated in the Profit Overview by Key Figure depends on the setup of the contribution margin scheme and the functional area assignment (for Earned Profit Analysis) to the G/L Account in the journal entry of the customer invoice. In this case, the posting of the concerned invoice has derived a functional area e.g. 1000 - Cost of goods sold (or other functional area not mapped to Net Revenue), which is generally displayed under key figure of Cost of Goods Sold and not as Net Revenue.
To narrow down to where exactly is the difference between the reports, you may add in both reports the Company, Product Category, Product and Invoice characteristics. Use the same time period in both reports, that is, the Time Frame selection in the Invoice Volume shall correspond to the same time period (coverage of the same days) as the Accounting Period/Year selection in the Profit Overview by Key Figure report.
Based on that, you may select by e.g. Product Category in both reports and check the amounts. Select a product category whose amount do not match and add the Product ID characteristic. Check the amounts for the products of that specific product category. Select a product whose amount do not match and add the Invoice characteristic. Compare the list of invoices for that specific Product and Product Category combination in both the Invoice Volume and Profit Overview by Key Figure reports to find which invoices are causing the difference.
Once you find the invoice(s) causing the difference, refer to the possible causes mentioned in the above section.
For the above mentioned case a), you may follow below steps:
- Go to General Ledger view.
- Go to Source Documents subview.
- Search for the invoice and check whether it is an unposted source document or not.
If it is an unposted source document, refer to the related error message in order to post it. If the invoice is not an unposted source document:
- In this same work center view, change the filter to show all documents and search by the invoice ID.
If you find the document, refer to case b).
- If you do not find the document via General Ledger work center, open it through e.g. Customer invoicing -> Invoice Documents work center.
- Open the invoice and go to Document Flow tab. You see a red icon with an exclamation mark (Process Communication Error) in the blue object that represents the invoice.
- Open an incident to support for the process communication error be analyzed.
For case b), you may follow below steps:
- Open the concerned invoice ID.
- Refer to the Document Date. This date is considered in the selection by Time Frame via Invoice Volume report.
- Go to Document Flow tab and open the journal entry for this invoice.
- Refer to the Posting Date in the journal entry. This posting date is considered in the selection by Accounting Period/year via Profit Overview by Key Figure report.
Therefore, if the dates (Document Date and Posting Date) are different and correspond to different accounting periods, you experience the difference in the reports, based on the explained behavior in the above section.
For case c), you may follow below steps:
- Open the journal entry of the concerned invoice.
- Highlight the journal entry items and check to which functional area the posting has occurred.
The functional areas are determined based on the G/L Account mapping made in Business Configuration or based on Cost Center. Depending on the determined functional area as well as depending on the structure items of the contribution margin scheme, the amounts will be assigned to a specific key figure. The contribution margin scheme specifies the calculation of the key figures in the Profit Overview by Key Figure report. You identify a structure item as a key figure by assigning fixed structure items to the node. For more details, please refer to help documentation Settings for Earned Profit Analysis – Configuration Guide.
Net Amount. Invoice Profit, Order Profit, Earner Profit, Profit Type, Invoice Volume, Profit Overview, Net Revenue. , KBA , AP-ACC , Business ByDesign: Financial Accounting , How To