- Crystal Reports crash.
- When reporting of Oracle, and using a custom SQL Query, Crystal Reports crash.
- When refreshing a report based on Oracle, containing a field with large amount of text, Crystal Reports crash.
- When creating, or refreshing a report based on an Oracle Native connection, with a Command Object that uses the Oracle function: listagg, or that uses a field containing a large amount of text, Crystal Reports crash.
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- Oracle 12c
- Oracle 18c
- Oracle 19c
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, create a new report using an Oracle native connection.
- Add a Command Object, and enter a SQL Query that uses the Oracle function: listagg, like:
Listagg(Field_01,',') WITHIN GROUP (Field_02) As Field_03
GROUP BY Field_02
- When refreshing the report, Crystal Reports crash.
- This issue only occur when:
- Using an Oracle Native connection; and
- Using a Command Object with a custom SQL Query that uses the Oracle function: listagg; or
- When adding to the report a fields containing a large amount of text; and
- The Oracle server Parameter: MAX_STRING_SIZE is set to: EXTENDED, which increase the size of VARCHAR2 expressions from 4,000 to 32,767
- A product enhancement has been tracked under SAP Note 2916885, to add support to the new Oracle Parameter: MAX_STRING_SIZE when set to: EXTENDED
- The issue is resolved in the following product update, and above:
- Crystal Reports 2016:
- Support Pack 07 - Patch 11
- Support Pack 08 - Patch 3
- If you cannot apply the update at this point, then to workaround the issue, perform one of the following:
- Use an ODBC connection using the Oracle ODBC driver installed with the Oracle client matching the version of Oracle you are connecting to; or
- Edit the SQL Query, and use the function: substr to limit the Oracle function: listagg to 4,000 characters. For example, the SQL Query will look like:
Substr(Listagg(Field_01,',') WITHIN GROUP (Field_02),1,4000) As Field_03
GROUP BY Field_02
ORA, CR , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , Bug Filed
SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016