You receive the error message "Creation of serial number XXXX failed"while you are performing Consumption for Cost Center (XXXX refers to Serial Number ID).
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Navigate to the Internal Logistics work center.
- Select the Common Task Consumption for / Return from a Cost Center.
- Select Posting Type as Goods Return.
- Enter other variables like Site, Cost Center, Product, Logistics Area and Serial Number ID.
- Select the Next button.
- The system displays the error message "Creation of serial number XXXX failed".
For Return from Cost Center, we expect that the issue from Cost Center would have been previously done in the system.
Hence, we do not create Serial Number automatically in this case which is a valid behavior.
To resolve the issue, you should use previously issued from Cost Center with the Serial Number already available in system. The Tagged Inventory Status should be shown as "Issued to Cost Center".
Note: In certain cases, you may have done the issue from Cost Center in your legacy system and now want to do the return from Cost Center in the ByDesign system.
In that scenario, we recommend that you create the Registered Product via migration with the tagged inventory status Migrated - Issued to Cost Center.
Creation of serial number XXXX failed, error while performing Consumption for Cost Center, Posting Type Goods Return , KBA , creation of serial number xxxx failed , posting type goods return , while performing consumption for cost , error while performing consumption , AP-IP-GAC , Goods and Activity Confirmation , Problem