- This Knowledge Base Article will explain how Expense - Time and Material (Project) item type works in sales order.
- Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental
SAP Business ByDesign
Prerequisite to do Project Based Service/Product:
Edit Project Scope>Questions> Sales>Sell Project-Based Products and Services>Check question “You can sell project-based services.” And “You use sales orders to sell projects.”
1. Release Sales Order.
If you input the project based service in the Sales Order and you want to release the Sales Order directly, error message “Order not released; No project task is assigned to item 10” will be displayed.
This is because a project based item has to have a project assigned to it.
2. Create a Project related to this Sales Order by clicking the button 'Create Project' on the top of the screen.
After creating the project, you can save and release the Sales Order without any errors. The Status of Sales Order changed to open while other status on item level remains Not Started and Project Status as “In Planning”.
3. Release the project.
Back to the respective Sales Order. Releasing assigned project won’t affect Salas Order’s header status as well as on item level.
Note : Since this item type is Expense - time and material (project), Neither Service Confirmation no time recording is needed via the project.
Expense related item is not available in Time Recording.
The invoicing amount is based on the actual expense recorded in responsible person’s expense report.
4. Fulfill the Expense Report.
Via Home Work Center>Self-Services>Expenses>New Expense Report
In this case, I input the expense as 200 Euro which is different from the original price in Sales Order. In the Expenses step, link the project task to the expense.
Save the Expense Report and submit to approval.
Login as approver and approve Expense Report via Manage My Area >Approvals
5. Generate Project Inovice Request via Customer Invoicing work center -> Project Invoicing -> Projects view.
In the automatic generated project invoice, the List Price has been automatically fulfilled as 161.29 Euro. And you can find the total pricing as 200 Euro in Pricing sub tab.
The project details can be seen in Time and Expenses.
Save and release the Project Invoice Request.
6. Invoice the Project Invoice Request.
Back to the respective Sales Order. The header status changed to In Process. On the item level, the Invoice Status changed to In Process.
7. Complete delivery in Sales Order by completing related Project.
If you don’t have any expense to record in this project, you can complete the related project.
Back to the respective Sales Order, the Delivery Status changed to Finished.
8. Complete Invoicing via project invoice> Sales Orders> Change Status> Finish Invoicing.
Back to the respective Sales Order.
The header level of Sales Order has been changed to Completed as well as on item level.
Document flow as below:
KBA 2871686 - CRM Scenario: Expense - Fixed Price Without Actuals in Sales Order
KBA 2871738 - CRM scenario: Expense - Fixed Price (Project) in Sales Order
Expense - Time and Material (Project); sales order; PXAT , KBA , SRD-CRM-ORD , Orders & Contracts , How To