When trying to edit the Maximum Length of some custom field in a MDF object on Configure Object Definition page, you are receiving a message that the length has exceeded the limit.
- SAP SuccessFactors HCM Suite
- Metadata Framework (MDF)
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Configure Object Definition;
- Select Object Definition and a custom MDF object that you have on your environment;
- Add a new custom field and select the type String;
- Go to details and try to set the Maximum Length to 5000;
- Save the object and receives the following message: Maximum length 5,000 should not exceed the allowed maximum length 4,000 of field.
This error is shown due to a validation that is made when saving the object. It is set a limit of 4,000 characters for String fields in MDF objects, so any value higher 4,000 inserted on Maximum Length will not be allowed.
As well as String type, other types have also a limit hardcoded, and it is not possible to change this limit.
You can check these values for each type of field where the limitation exists in this page of SAP Help Portal: Adding Fields
2273344 - How to Configure Object Definition in MDF?
maximum, length, MDF, custom, object, field, string, 4000, Maximum length should not exceed the allowed maximum length , KBA , LOD-SF-MDF-OBJ , Object Definition & Field Related Issues , Problem