- The HANA System's CPU utilization is exhausted on at least one host or more.
- Even after a full restart of the DB , another massive CPU load and/or blocked transactions are observed on the system.
- From the kernel profiler trace (1804811 - SAP HANA Database: Kernel Profiler Trace), one particular callstack module is observed:
The main single CPU consumer is: vgettimeofday
I: <function and descendant CPU time>
E: function only time
(Sys: I: <function and descendant time>, E: function only time)
So in this example, the CPU is consumed by 22% alone for timestamp calls. This is not normal behavior.
The indexserver trace also shows us that we have a system timer fallback:
2019-08-19 13:28:24.081575 w Basis Timer.cpp(00718) : Fallback to system call for HR timer
- A high frequency of SQLExecutor threads with this callstack is observed in the indexserver runtime dumps :
[thr=99546]: SqlExecutor at
1: 0xffffffffff60017b in [vgettimeofday]+0x177 (<unknown>)
- A check of the clocksource from OS layer on the Linux host reveals it is not set at 'tsc'
~]# cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP HANA Database Platform Edition 1.0
- SAP HANA Database Platform Edition 2.0
- Intel CPUs
vgettimeofday, High CPU, tsc, clocksource , KBA , HAN-DB-PERF , SAP HANA Database Performance , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP ONE Support launchpad (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.