You have a scenario in which one Business Object modifies another Business Object in the same process. You also have a custom workflow rule on both Business Objects.
After making a modification on the first business object, you observe the first workflow rule execution. However you do not see the workflow rule execution on the second business object in the same process.
SAP Cloud for Customer
Reproducing the Issue
You must have a scenario where Cross-Business Object modifications are being made.
- You must have a Workflow Rule defined for each BO.
- Execute the set of steps needed for your workflow rule to activate.
- If the timing is "On Every Save", please make a modification on the first business object and save the document.
Once this process has complete, review the workflow logs in either:
- Workflow Changes facet of the Thing Inspector.
- Workflow Rule log in the Administrator => Workflow Rules view.
The workflow framework has not been designed to handle multiple cross-BO "updates" to trigger multiple workflow rules.
The reason behind not supporting the "update" scenario is the unwanted recursion which may happen in the application process or the cascading effect. I.E one BO updating another which updates another and so on, that the rules will enter a loop. This was designed in this way to improve system performance.
The design of this framework is not due to change.
To resolve this issue, you will have to modify your scenario in way that supports this process.
You may be able to perform the same functionality as the intended workflow rule via ABSL scripting.
Workflow Rule, Execution, Trigger, ABSL, PDI, DEV , KBA , LOD-CRM-WKF , Workflow , Problem