As opposed to the standard refresh requests which require LMS administrators to carry out several tasks pre and post refresh, the automated refresh tool namely Instance Refresh Tool (IRT) eliminated many of these to simplify the task (please see the resolution section for details on the automation).
- SAP SuccessFactors HXM suite
- SAP SuccessFactors Learning Management System (LMS)
- Admin Center
- Instance Refresh Tool
The tool is currently available in BETA phase for LMS customers.
vSaaS environments are currently not elgible.
Prior to use the tool, you need to contact the LMS support team to verify you are eligible and for the tool to be enabled from the Bizx backend (provisioning).
- Enable Generic Object, if the feature is not enabled in your instance, you can upgrade your instance in Upgrade Center.
- Role-based permission, if your instance is using legacy permission please contact SAP Cloud Support, for information on migrating your instance to role-based permission.
You can review this KBA 2791468 which contains a 6 mins video (end to end demo from setting up permissions to generating tokens and pairing instances for the refresh). But since the tool is already available for HCM core you have more likely all the configuration done already.
Which BizX company id should be paired with source?
Please refer KBA 2655655 - How can SuccessFactors end users find the company ID - SuccessFactors to find exact BizX company id.
To find out LMS environment URL associated with BizX company id, please use below steps.
- Login into BizX environment
- Navigate to Admin Center -> Learning -> Learning Administration
- From the Learning Administration URL, check for https://XXXX.plateau.com This will be associated Learning url for your BizX company id.
Note: XXXX is specific to customer's LMS domain.
IRT does not support instances with Reverse Proxy configured.
Please note the following information when using the Instance Refresh Tool:
The following configuration tables are automatically backed up and restored from the target instance after a refresh:
- System Configuration Property Files (so you will be able to navigate to LMS from Bizx post refresh without having to update the configuration)
- Report Developer Role (Preview only)
- Internal (backend) Configurations
The following actions are automatically performed in the target instance after a refresh:
- PA Mail table is cleared of all queued up emails
- Mail Archive table is cleared
- All email addresses are cleared from the system as to not send out erroneous emails
- Previous background job results table is cleared
- APM's or Recurring Report jobs wiil have same status as source
- The Target instance will have its OAuth Client Secret overwritten by the Source's. If OData API is used in the Target instance, it's mandatory to generate a new client secret to avoid any issues.
- A post-refresh user sync via an ad-ho crun of the user connector-sf (SF user connector in LMS) will be run to ensure employee data is synchronized between platform and LMS
(only if BizX has exported the file accordingly else you can run manually or rely on the already planned scheduled time for this connector and the BizX provisioning export job, if not you will receive a warnign that you can safely ignore: "The user export job cannot be found. Please contact your implementation partner or SAP Cloud Support to create a new job in Provisioning").
- SMTP settings will be cleared and you may see an error on the page: "Email has been disabled due to connectivity errors with the configured SMTP server settings. Please contact your system administrator to verify the settings to enable email", please see our "After the refresh section" for steps to take if you need to enable emails in your target instance post refresh.
Before the refresh:
if you have a different logo or images for each of your instances, please be aware of the following:
- QuickGuide images, Company logos and custom thumbnails are not backed up nor stored in the LMS database, therefore you need to have these files available to upload them in the LMS target instance after the refresh.
- If you have any custom labels or custom reports unique to the target instance, you should export them before the refresh to keep a back up.
- You should also have your OData API secret already backed up in case you use this functionality in Stage and should ensure you have it to replace.
After the refresh:
- Test accessing LMS from the platform (both user and admin UI)
- Review your configuration files (system administration > Configuration > System Configuration) to confirm the backup were properly applied (correct SFTP, deployment location ID etc...)
- Upload your images if needed
- To enable emails in the target instance please navigate to system administration > configuration > global application settings > Mail tab > check 'Enable Email' and populate the Admin and 'User Notification Email' fields (mandatory)
- Connectors will not be disabled in the target system post refresh, if you do not need them to run then please make sure to disable them once the refresh is completed (system admin > Connectors > open the desired connector and uncheck "Schedule this process")
However the Connector configuration property file of the target system is backed up and restored after the refresh is completed (for example sftp location and file path).
Performing a Refresh only on Learning Management System:
- When doing a Learning Refresh, you will not see the LMS URLs as the options. Instead what you will see are the BizX IDs.
- Please note checkbox for "Learning Management System" will appear only after selecting target environment and if Learning Management System refresh has been enabled in both source and target environment.
- When performing a refresh only on the Learning Management System you will get the following Warning Message:
- In the case that you do have access to Provisioning you can Run this Employee Export without contacting SAP Cloud Support and then run the SF User Connector afterwards to sync the Users in the LMS.
- If you do not have access to Provisioning then contact the SAP Cloud Support team by raising a incident under the component LOD-SF-PLT requesting to run a Employee Export in provisioning for the Target instance. Then run the SF User Connector in the LMS.
- This will sync the Users across LMS and BizX.
What if the refresh fails or I receive some errors?
- Please review this KBA 2791468 and its References section for some additional documentation on errors and validation messages.
- If you still need assistance, you can either reopen the incident where you requested us to enable the tool (if not confirmed) or please submit a new incident (LOD-SF-SER-REF)
- company ID and support access for both the source and target instance
- notification received with validation or error
- Error logs (see here how to collect them)
screenshot of the error if the message happens when scheduling the refresh and prevented you from proceeding
SF, Success Factors, LMS, learning, Refresh, instance snapshot, DB, database dump, clone, process, instance refresh tool, automated, automation , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-IRT , Instance Refresh Tool , LOD-SF-LMS-SER , Config. Consulting & Service Requests , LOD-SF-SER-REF , Instance Refresh , Product Enhancement