When using an API call to get the contents of a custom richtext field in RCM, some data is missing in the response, i.e. the text is truncated before the end.
"Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental."
SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting Management
Reproducing the Issue
- In an API 'GET' query, you are querying a custom richtext type field in RCM
- In the response, the text from this field is truncated as in the example below:
- The full sentence should be 'You like to work in an international team and to travel to other global locations' but the rest of it is missing as if a character limit had been reached even though there is none in the xml template.
This happens when the custom richtext field has been made reportable in Provisioning. This causes the contents of the field to be stored in a flattened database table for ease of reporting; this table only allows a maximum of 4000 bytes per field and the excess is truncated. When the API query reads from this table, it can only retrieve the truncated contents and therefore doesn't return the complete text present in RCM.
To resolve, follow these steps. As Provisioning access is necessary, a partner should be involved as required. Please note Support is not allowed to modify Provisioning in production instances.
Go to Provisioning > Configure Reportable Custom Fields
- Select the appropriate template type at the top of the screen
- Look for your field ID in the first section and delete it
- Press Save at the bottom of the page
- Go to Admin Center > ODATA API Metadata Refresh and Export
- Press the 'Refresh' button and wait until it is completed (should take around 30 seconds to complete, and a confirmation will appear on the screen)
- Try to execute your API query again. The full text should be in the response for the custom richtext field
Note that while this prevents you from reporting on this field, this behaviour would only affect fields with a lot of text contents like descriptions, and typically these are not included in reports.
custom, richtext, field, truncated, missing, text, ODATA, API, reportable, change, exceed