- How to successfully install Crystal Reports Developer, for Visial Studio?
- What are the best practices for installing Crystal Reports Devloper for Visual Studio Distribution packages (MSI, Merge Modules, Click Once)?
- Where is the .NET SDK packages that used to be included with Crystal Reports Designer and Visual Studio?
- Crystal Reports Developer, for Visial Studio
Along with Crystal Reports Designers ( optional )
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
As of Crystal Reports 2011 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 the .NET SDK packages are now available on various SAP sites.
To get to the Download WIKI page go here: https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Crystal+Reports%2C+Developer+for+Visual+Studio+Downloads
CR for VS now includes access to the InProc Report Application Server used for major report modifications (RCAPI)
- To clarify what versions are supported:
- The standard support for CR/BOE is the latest current version less 2, for example CR 2016 SP 6 = Supported CR 2016 SP 4 and 5. Minor patches follow the same rules.
- CR for VS is different, we only release full builds, no patches are available and never will be.
There are mulitiple variations on versions of Crystal Reports runtime and Crystal Reports Designer as well as third party applications that can use various versions of CR Designer and CR for VS side by side.
Like CR Designer you can only have one version of CR 2011, 2013 and 2016 installed at any time. CR for VS cannot be side by side with another version.
See KBA - 2719939 - Crystal Reports for Visual Studio Runtime versioning - side by side ability - what to do with WinFormCRViewer.zip from download WIKI
The above KBA explains how you can install the latest version and still be able to redirect your legacy app to use the newer runtime, does not (mostly) require recompiling the legacy application.
- List of recommended steps before installing Crystal Reports for Visual Studio:
- Install or confirm Microsoft KB2999226 - Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows is installed, it is a must requirement, as noted on the download WIKI.
- Install Microsoft Visual Studio ( 2010 and above ) including any Framework versions and patch them to current updates.
- On the Developers PC download the EXE ( it's the yellow button on the CR for VS download page )
- Right click on the EXE and select Run as Administrator, it is not enough to just run it even if you are a local Admin.
- This integrates CR runtime into Visual Studio so the Embedded Report Designer is available as well as the New Project Templates
- Last step of the installer is an option to install the 64 bit runtime package, do so if you are planning to compile your application in 64 bit mode.
Note: CR for VS is set for your application platform and not the Operating system platform - x86 or x64
Note2: Specifically set the Project for x86 or x64 and not AnyCPU
- List of steps when upgrading and existing install of CR for VS on the Developers PC.
- Stop all instances of Visual Studio and existing application in either Debug or Release mode
- Open Programs and Files and uninstall the 64 bit runtime package first - SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework (64-bit)
- Once completed now uninstall SAP Crystal Reports, version for Microsoft Visual Studio
- Now that has been done right click on setup.exe and select Run As Administrator.
Note: a reboot may be required, just in case something was locking one of the runtime files.
- As a check to verify all parts are removed before upgrading search your PC for crpe32.dll, if any are found, assuming no other applications are using it, rename them to crpe32.org, do not use crpe32.dll.org, Windows will still finds it.
- After uninstalling and before installing you should have nothing in this folder except for any Custom UFL's and possibly other files like an install log. You should back those up as well.
- C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0
- Updating Runtime only Computers
- Check Programs and Features for any existing runtime packages installed
- If any exist uninstall first
- Copy the MSI package onto the PC and right click and run or just double click on it. Required be logged in as a local Administrator, the runtime needs permission to create registry keys, register COM dll's etc.
- NOTE: there are also 32 bit Merge Modules and Click Once packages, for those consult the proper way to include/distribute those accroding to Visual Studio Packaging practices.
If anything goes wrong you can always find the install log here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging
If it fails before that folder is created look in this folder:
There should be a partial install log there.
Note: As of CR for VS SP 21 13.0.21.xxxx, CR 2013 14.1.10 and CR 2016 14.2.4 we have updated the C++ runtime to VC 2015 and we have updated the Security modules as well. You cannot mix these newer versions with any of the older versions, you will get install errors so first thing to do is check you do not have any older versions installed when udating CR and CR for VS.
crforvs, installation, best practice, master KBA, , KBA , BI-DEV-NET , BI Software Development Kits (SDKs) - .NET or Other , How To