When uploading the Materials using Microsoft Excel®, even if the mandatory fields like Material Description, Product Category ID and Base UoM are not filled in the upload file, the Materials can be still imported without any validation checks for the mandatory fields.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
To upload Materials:
- Go to Product Data workcenter
- Go to Materials view
- Go to Material subview
- Select the button New and choose Material from Microsoft Excel®
- Fill only the field Material ID
- In the Microsoft Excel, go to the tab SAP Business ByDesign
- Select Logon
- A dialog box opens where you can enter the logon details
- Provide the system URL and enter your user ID and your password, and click Logon
- In the ribbon, select Save Data to
- Material gets successfully uploaded to system
To check if Materials are uploaded in system:
- Go to Product Data work center
- Go to Materials view
- Find the Material ID
- Material is imported even if the mandatory fields like Material Description, Product Category ID and Base UoM were not part of the upload file.
The validation checks raised on the UI are raised specifically for the Quick Activity Floorplan (QAF) and the Object Instance Floorplan (OIF). When we create a Material from the backend on the Business Object, no such checks are raised. Moreover, the creation of Material only triggers a create on the Root node of the Business Object where the Description field is not present, neither is the Product Category ID present. Therefore, no validations arise for them and the creation of Material is successful. When you create Material via Microsoft Excel®, it is the same behavior and therefore, no checks are raised from the Business Object itself and create is successful.
This is a designed behavior on the Business Object. The mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk character * on the Microsoft Excel® to ensure that you fill these fields everytime you create a Material.
Fill the mandatory fields in the Microsoft Excel® file and proceed with Materials import.
Microsoft Excel®, Upload Materials, Excel approach, Material Description, Mandatory fields , KBA , upload materials , material description , material , microsoft excel® , mandatory fields , excel approach , SRD-MD-PRD-PRD , Product , Problem