- How to enable the Instance Refresh Tool for my Instance;
- Setting Permissions for Instance Refresh Tool;
- Accessing the Instance Refresh Tool;
- Pairing the Instances;
- Creating an Instance Refresh Request;
- Monitoring instance refresh Tool;
- How to handle various refresh status;
- What's new in instance refresh? Check out the SAP Help guide here.
"Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental."
- SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite
- SAP SuccessFactors Learning
How to enable the Instance Refresh Tool for my instance?
The instance refresh tool is available on all Datacenters except DC41, 42 and 47. Please check the limitations listed below. Should you plan to perform a cross data center refresh or if you have reverse proxy configured in your SOURCE or TARGET instance, please proceed with Manual Refresh (Refer to KBA 2277508 - SuccessFactors Cloud Manual Instance Refresh Process & FAQ).
- The instance refresh Tool does not support cross DC refreshes at this time, for example DC2 to DC4 etc;
- The instance refresh tool is available on all Datacenters except DC41, 42 and 47;
- Similar for Manual Refreshes, during blackout period, refreshes from Higher to Lower Version (Example: SOURCE - b2005 and TARGET - b1911) is not supported;
- The tool only supports refreshes from Monday through Thursday, between 8pm to 8am in the timezone of the data center where these instances are located to avoid any service disruptions;
- Onboarding 2.0 Enabled instances are part of the BizX Refresh and supported via the IRT tool however where Source instance does not have Onboarding 2.0 enabled and the target instance does have Onboarding 2.0, it will result in overwriting Onboarding on the target to a blank configuration. See 2912722 for further details. Note : For Onboarding 1.0 customers this module is not part of BizX and you will be required to create a support case with Onboarding team for manual Onboaring refresh, the IRT tool does not yet support Onboarding 1.0 refreshes.
How to use the Instance Refresh tool?
Successfactors Application now allows you to create, monitor and cancel the schedule of your refresh requests directly from the admin center in a few easy steps.
Here is a quick video showing how to set up Role base permissions & to schedule the refresh:
The instance refresh tool will not be visible in your instance until the RBP permission have been granted to your refresh admin.
Note: Prerequisite Role Based Permission which must be enabled prior to using the Instance Refresh Tool.
These below permissions must be enabled on both Source and Target in order for the tool to work:
- From Role Based Permission navigate to Manage Integration Tools -> Access to OData API Metadata Refresh and Export;
- From Role Based Permissions navigate to Metadata Framework -> Admin access to MDF OData API;
- From Role Based Permissions navigate to Manage Instance Refresh -> Select All;
Warning: Ensure the username/userid you are using to schedule the refresh has less than twenty (20) characters
Please watch the videos below, as they will explain how to:
- Grant the required RBP permissions;
- Perform the OData API Metadata Refresh;
- Pairing the SOURCE and TARGET instances and schedule a refresh.
- Grant the required RBP permissions:
Media not computed.
- Perform the OData API Metadata Refresh (to prevent failures with the tool):
Media not computed.
- Pairing the SOURCE and TARGET instances and schedule a refresh:
Media not computed.
If you still do not find the Manage Instance Refresh permissions, please contact SAP Cloud Support by raising a ticket.
For more details on the Instance Refresh Tool please refer to the SAP help Document - Instance Refresh Guide.
- Please refer to the Instance Refresh Tool Admin Guide - "Things to Know Before Refreshing the Target Instance" section for all considerations you will need to check prior to submitting a refresh using the tool;
- In addition to the notes on the guide, below are some important updates that you will need to be aware of prior refresh;
- ONBOARDING 2.0 : We do not allow BizX Refreshes where Source instance does not have Onboarding 2.0 Enabled. See 2912722 for further details;
- RECRUITING MARKETING : RMK is not included in BizX Refresh. See 2883870 - RMK Instance Refresh Request - Recruiting Marketing for further details;
- WFA : Is not copied as part of the BizX refresh refer too 2341764 - Workforce Analytics (WFA) Refresh - FAQ KBA for further details.
Note: ORD (Advanced Reporting data source) refresh is now part of the BizX refresh however some reporting products are not refreshed reference (KBA 2315083) for further details and reference blog on Advanced reporting;
- Some jobs are not recreated back in the TARGET instance post refresh. Should you have this configured in your TARGET instance, please engage your partner or open an incident to the respective teams below:
- HRIS Sync - "LOD-SF-EC"
- Workflow Action Reminder - "LOD-SF-EC"
- Synchronize Business Configuration - "LOD-SF-EC"
- Ad hoc Report Builder - "LOD-SF-ANA"
- Starting b2005, attachments will not be copied for BizX Refreshes. For more details, please refer to KBA 2900061 - Attachments are empty post BizX Refresh;
- Only Employee Profile Emails and Recruiting emails are masked as part of the refresh. This is applicable if you have populated the "Mask Recruiting Candidates Email Address" and "Mask Employee Profile Email Address" fields during the submission of the request.
If you have Employee central enabled in SOURCE, you will need to perform a manual import to mask employee central emails post refresh. Not performing this step will result for masked emails in the User Data file to be overwritten by live emails as soon as HRIS sync is triggered.
- If you are using OpenText as your Document Storage in the Target instance, please refer to KBA 2926317 - How to reestablish OpenText Integration in Target instance post-refresh?
Picklists are covered by the instance refresh. In case one of your instances has already undergone Picklist Migration and the other one has not, please be aware of the potential outcomes of each scenario below:
- If SOURCE picklists are already migrated to MDF and TARGET picklists are still on legacy model
Result: the instance refresh will be equivalent to migrating TARGET picklists. Both instances will then have only MDF Picklists and Picklist Management will not be available in neither instances anymore.
- If TARGET picklists are already migrated to MDF and SOURCE picklists are still on legacy model
Result: the instance refresh will revert picklist migration. You should either wait for SOURCE to be migrated or request TARGET to be migrated again after the refresh takes place. Please refer to KBA 2793223 for additional details on migration schedule.
For instructions on how to check if your instance is already migrated, please check the Picklist Migration guide.
Considerations Post Refresh:
- As part of the post refresh activity, select scheduled FTP jobs will get restored Automatically in the Target Instance e.g. Username, Filename, Password;
- PGP keys are restored as part of refreshes thru IRT.
- The job owner will also get restored post refresh which means if the job owner no longer exists in the Newly refreshed instance the job will fail with "Invalid job owner";
- After a system instance refresh, information such job requisitions history or applicant history is lost, this is expected behavior see KBA for further details 2834508 - Job requisition history and applicant history lost after instance refresh - Recruiting Management.
- If the TARGET instance is integrated with IAS (SAP Cloud Identity Authentication Service), please do the following post refresh Instance Refresh (both automated and manual):
- Before doing the IPS resync, the customer needs to verify IPSADMIN and corresponding permissions in the refreshed target instance. Please see a KBA 2954491.
- Verify IPS template where refreshed target instance is the source system and then do a manual Resync (for all the target systems in IPS). The details on IPS Resync process can be found on this section of the admin guide.
- If the customer has set up real time user sync, they need to verify and update the integration configuration for the business scenario Real-time User Account Sync from SAP SuccessFactors to SAP IPS. The details on configuration for real time user sync can be found here.
Instance Refresh Tool Statuses:
For the full list of status for Instance refresh tool and required actions (if any) for each status, please refer to the Admin Guide.
[BETA FEATURE] Data Anonymization
You can now mask personally identifiable fields of Recruiting Management in the Source Instance that are copied to Target via the instance refresh Tool. This Feature is only available using the Instance refresh Tool and is an Opt-in which is part of BETA Testing. Starting b1911, Employee Central and User Management fields (limited) will be supported for Data Anonymization using Instance Refresh tool.
We do not recommend to use the Feature if under strict timelines see KBA for more details 2827300 - [BETA FEATURE] Data Anonymization for Recruiting Management [Instance Refresh Tool]
Frequently asked questions (FAQs):
Question: What if the refresh status fails or is showing a reverted status?
Answer: If the status of your refresh is showing Failed or Reverted please Please contact SAP Cloud Support with the error log file. To download the log file, click the ellipses button under the Action column for the corresponding refresh request and then click "Download Log". For more details on status of your refresh please review SAP help Link here. If your refresh is urgent also download the attached refresh form to proceed with manual refresh while the RCA is been complete by engineering on the failed or reverted status of the refresh.
Question: What if the refresh completes with warnings?
Answer: If the status of your refresh shows completed with warning you can still log in to the updated target instance and continue with other scheduled activities and testing. There may be some actions from SAP Cloud Support or customer side. See full list of warning messages and actions on KBA 2812823 - Refresh Status Information - Completed with warning - Full List
Question: You receive the following error: "The application encountered an unknown error". How do i fix the error?
Answer: If you encounter an unknown error when pairing the tool KBA 2789795 - "Instance Refresh / Instance Sync Tool: The Application Encountered an Unknown Error" to resolve the error.
Question: You receive the following error: "Unable to fetch existing requests. Please contact SAP Cloud to run Company Schema Upgrade Job and Company Data Migrate Job from Provisioning, and then refresh the metadata cache. To refresh cache, go to "Admin Center" > "OData API Metadata Refresh And Export" and then click "Refresh".". How do i fix the error?
Answer: If you encounter an this error it is due to missing Role based permission - follow steps in KBA 2819650 - Unable to fetch existing request - Instance Refresh Tool
Question: I receive the Error codes : TENANTREFRESH_MAX_SCHEMA_SIZE_EXCEEDED , Validation failed. Or "The refresh cannot be submitted because the data volume of the source instance is too large for the automated refresh process. Please contact SAP Cloud Support to trigger a refresh with the operations team." How should i proceed?
Answer: If you encounter this error code please submit a Support ticket with LOD-SF-SER-REF and complete attached refresh form to proceed with the manual refresh. See KBA: 2277508 - SuccessFactors Cloud Manual Instance Refresh Process & FAQ
Question: If you schedule a refresh a month ahead, can it be canceled UP To the start of the refresh procedure?
Answer: Yes. it can be canceled before the start of refresh.
Question: Can we make certain sensitive data field scrambled?
Answer: Currently this is on the road map kindly refer the earlier section [BETA FEATURE] Data Anonymization for further details.
Question: Is this tool handling also the Provisioning post-refresh configurations and integrations re-establishment?
Answer: Yes all existing integration are reverted automatically via the refresh tool this includes SSO, LMS, ONB, RMK and WFA.
Question: When can we refresh our instance?
Answer: The refresh can be scheduled within the tool on weekdays from Monday to Thursday. (Friday-Sunday is not available due to patches and maintenance) The refresh will be scheduled during non-working hours.
Question: Onboarding module is included on the Refresh?
Answer: No, Please submit an incident to the module onboarding to request this type of refresh.
Question: Is LMS available in the Refresh tool?
Answer: LMS is now available as a BETA feature at some DataCenters (please check KBA 2835061 to see the current DC's list), refresh requests are validated by support and customers who would be eligible for the tool will be informed in their refresh incident. To review the process for self service refresh please review KBA 2835061
For any other LMS refresh, please open an incident with LOD-SF-SER and refer to KBA 2165346 - Learning Management System Refresh Process.
Question: Schedule dates will need to take into consideration local time or DC time?
Answer: The date shown in the tool when you submit a request will be converted and shown according to the browser time zone. The tool will schedule the refresh at 8 PM (DataCenter time) or 2 AM (DataCenter time) based on the DBpool availability with the DataCenter.
Question: Is the refresh scheduled time also shown in the interface besides the selected Refresh scheduled date? So we can see for how late the refresh is scheduled. Especially if there is a down-time of the target instance.
Answer: Yes, the scheduled date will be shown in the Overview page in the tool.
Question: Can we cancel the refresh?
Answer: Once a refresh is in progress, it can't be canceled.
Question: Can we do e-mail masking?
Answer: The Recruiting Candidate e-mail Addresses and the Employee Profile e-mail Addresses can be masked. If you have Employee Central enabled in SOURCE, please refer to "Considerations Pre-Refresh" section, point #4.
Question: In the validation failed status was the refresh actually done? was it useful? in what kind of scenario system shows this kind of status?
Answer: The refresh is not done, if it is in 'Validation Failed' status. This status might pop up, if the desired space is not available in the system, or if Instance Refresh was disabled in the target instance for some reason.
Question: Are Custom Themes copied from the Source to the Target instance after a refresh?
Answer: Yes. Custom Themes are copied as part of the refresh.
Question: Is it possible to use the Instance Refresh tool for cross-datacenter instances?
Answer: The tool currently does not allow to select a different data center for the target environment.
Instance Refresh Tool , IRT , Refresh , refresh , clone , Instance refresh, How to enable the instance refresh tool , Instance refresh form , form , Instance Refresh , instance refresh , refresh , Failed , failed refresh , Reverted , reverted refresh , reverted , The application encountered an unknown error , The Application Encountered an Unknown Error , Unable to fetch existing requests , Unable to fetch existing request , Company Schema Upgrade Job . validation failed , TENANTREFRESH_MAX_SCHEMA_SIZE_EXCEEDED , KBA , LOD-SF-SER-REF , Instance Refresh , LOD-SF-PLT , Platform Foundational Capabilities , Problem
|BizX Manual Refresh Form_2005.docx|