- ASE is reporting 'sapsa' spid(s) in 'sleeping' status and command "SET SWITCH" (thru sp_who command or Processes Monitor list from DBACockpit), ie for sp_who output:
0 64 sleeping sapsa sapsa NULL 0 saptools sapsatempdb SET SWITCH 0 syb_default_pool
Note: The "set switch" works like a dbcc traceon (to set trace flags).
The "sleeping" state means: "Waiting on a disk I/O, or some other resource (often indicates a process that is running, but doing extensive disk I/O)".
- The spid cannot be killed
- An ASE restart is also not possible unless a kill -9 done
- But even after a restart a new similar sleeping spid reappears.
- From a:
- "select * from master..sysprocesses"
- or from Sybdiag output > Adaptive Server Monitoring Data > Adaptive Server Processes
- When checking the offending spid, you can confirm the session spid is coming from JS Agent / ATM WINDOW 1 or 2, i.e.:
sapsa 64 18153611 1 sleeping 4 null JS Agent - sapsa 35399 SET SWITCH 1 0 10 0 5 1 0 $chained_transaction null 16384 0 EC2 LOW syb_default_pool 82096302 114 379 null 0 ATM WINDOW 1
- Checking the ASE error log, you can see this message reported (one or more times) that indicates the auditing is enabled:
AUDIT PROCESS EXCEPTION: Can't allocate space for either syslogs or the current sysaudit table in database 'sybsecurity' because the corresponding segment is full/has no free extents. Please refer to Security Administration Guide for details.
- Any dbcc command leads to more stuck sessions.
- As consequence, saptools log segment is running full (error Msg 1105 being reported in the ASE error log).
- Issue is reproduced as soon ASE is restarted.
- ASE configuration parameter "suspend audit when device full" is enabled.
- SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) 15.7 for Business Suite
- SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) 16.0 for Business Suite
- SAP NetWeaver (NW) - All versions
sybsecurity, audit process, sleeping, set switch, sleeping, auditing queue size, 1105, saptools, log segment , KBA , BC-DB-SYB , Business Suite on Adaptive Server Enterprise , How To
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP ONE Support launchpad (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.