- Error when editing system fields: like Username, Login Method or User ID via the UI inside the instance;
- Not able to edit those fields for any employee;
- Able to edit those fields for some employees but not for others.
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP SuccessFactors Employee Profile
- SAP SuccessFactors Platform
Reproducing the Issue
- Access the People Profile of an employee;
- Scroll to Profile;
- Edit the Username / Login Method or User ID;
- Change it and Save.
Possible Error message:
- "Unknown response status: Error occurred"
- "Unknown response status: ServiceApplicationException"
- "Changes to your data cannot be saved"
Employees should not be allowed to edit system fields in the People Profile. Accidental edit of such fields might lead to application errors. We recommend that Admins disable edit permissions on system fields for employees. Preferably, those fields should only be editable through Manage Users screen in Admin Center, or through import of the UDF, to avoid Application Errors and any inconsistencies.
Even if you are able to edit those field for some employees with no error, you should not edit them.
Employees should not be allowed to edit system fields in the People Profile. Accidental edit of such fields might lead to application errors. We recommend that Admins disable edit permissions on system fields for employees.
Even if employees have edit permissions on system fields, their modifications cannot be saved successfully. That is also why we recommend Admins to disable edit permissions to avoid unnecessary confusion.
The following fields in the User Info type of blocks are system fields:
- Login Method
- User ID
Follow the below steps in order to remove the edit permission from the system fields:
- Go to "Admin Center" > "Manage Permission Roles";
- Select the role for which you want to disable the permissions;
- Select the "Employee Data" tab, in the "User Permissions" section;
- Deselect the Edit permissions for the User ID, Username, and Login Method fields;
- Click Save Changes.
Please see Here: Disabling Edit Permissions on System Fields
NOTE: If you try to edit the value for LoginMethod field from Employee Profile, the new value set will not be saved.
Do not add LoginMethod in HRIS SYNC mapping see: 2336779 - Invalid HRIS Sync Mapping Configuration " HRIS Sync Job Failure"
Imports handled by Platform:
SuccessFactors, Edit, Username, UserID, Login Method, Change, Fields, Error Occurred, Cannot Update the Username, Unknown response status: Error occurred, Unknown response status: ServiceApplicationException, Changes to your data cannot be saved, System Fields, Employees, Can't be Saved, Data, Field, Unable. , KBA , LOD-SF-EP , Employee Profile , LOD-SF-PLT , Platform Foundational Capabilities , LOD-SF-EC-HRS , HRIS Sync , LOD-SF-EP-PP3 , People Profile (PP3) , How To