You have posted a warehouse confirmation and expected that the value gets posted inventory general ledger account but instead it is posting to Gain/ Loss from Purchase Price Differences that is maintained under differences tab in the inventory sub-ledger.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
Go to the General Ledger work center.
- Go to the Journal Entries view.
- Find the Journal Entry AAA (AAA indicates journal entry ID) and click view (Journal Entry type: Goods Receipt from Supplier; Source Document: Warehouse confirmation).
- Click View and you will notice that there is certain amount to a G/L account which is from (Charts of Accounts, Financial Reporting Structures, Account Determination > Account Determination > Inventory > Differences) instead you expect that amount should only be posted to inventory account.
The journal entry of an affected document could look as follows:
Finished Product account Debit: 100.00
Purchase in Transit account Credit: 75.00
Gain/Loss from Purchase Price Differences account Credit: 25.00
Resulting Inventory Quantity / On-hand inventory quantity is zero as a result system has posted the purchase order price difference with inventory to the Gain/Loss from Purchase Price Difference G/L Account.
The goods receipt updates the inventory cost with the value required at this point in time (mixed price).
The goods issue is posted with the value applicable at this point in time.
- Go to the Inventory Valuation work center.
- Go to the Materials view and select the material XYZ (XYZ represents the material).
- Click View Cost History.
- Find the warehouse confirmation line and against the same line look for Resulting Inventory Quantity.
At the time of posting of this warehouse confirmation, the stock has got adjusted as there were already some goods issue posted before and with this goods receipt the remaining on-hand stock is zero. To further calculate the purchase price difference and it to the inventory cost itself due to the moving average method applied, system tries to valuate the differences to add it to the inventory but due to the situation that the on-hand stock (Resulting Inventory Quantity) resulting is zero, system posts the differences to the G/L Purchase Price Difference.
moving average cost calculation during warehouse confirmation posting. , KBA , moving average , purchase price difference instead of inv , resulting inventory cost , warehouse confirmation posting to invent , SRD-FIN-INV , Inventory , How To