You have submitted a VAT Tax Return.
- As a confirmation, you manually calculate the Total Amount tax by adding together all the values under Tax Amount column in the Tax Return tab.
You notice that the amount shown under Total Tax Amount field in the Overview tab is different than the value you have manually calculated above.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the Tax Management work center.
- Go to the Tax Returns view.
- Go to VAT Returns subview.
- Find VAT Return ID XX and open it.
- Open the Overview tab.
- Take note of the value shown under Total Tax Amount field.
- Open the Tax Return tab.
- Click the Export button.
- Select To Microsoft Excel option.
- Save the document in your device.
- Open the saved Excel file and sum the column called Tax Amount.
Note: The value shown under Total Tax Amount field in the Overview tab of the VAT Return is greater than the value you have manually calculated.
(XX represents the Tax ID number)
The Total Tax Amount value shown in the Overview tab field of the VAT Tax Return will show only the tax amount that will be paid or received from the Tax Authority.
The manually put together Total Amount tax shows the sum of all items taken into consideration for the relevant VAT Tax Return Run.
There are several reasons for this difference in the tax amount:
The VAT Tax Return Run contains several Warning messages that have been ignored. The invoices with Warning messages are not submitted to the Tax Authority.
- Some of the documents picked up by the VAT Tax Return Run where already picked up in a previous VAT Tax Return Run which is still 'In Preparation' status.
- Some of the documents picked up by the VAT Tax Return Run contain reverse charge tax amounts, meaning there is a Debit and a Credit tax charge for the same amount in the document, which brings the total to zero and therefore this amount is not reported to the Tax Authority.
For reason 1 above: You need to correct the items affected by Warning messages in the relevant VAT Tax Return Run.
For reason 2 above: You need to submit the 'In Preparation' VAT Tax Return Run so those documents are not picked again in subsequent Runs.
For reason 3 above: This is the expected system behavior, as the tax amount is zero, this amount will not be reported to the Tax Authority.
Total, Amount, Tax, Return, Authorities, Tax Management, Run, Warning, VAT, Difference , KBA , SRD-FIN-TAX , Tax Management , Problem