A Journal Entry Voucher of type Manual Entry for Accounts Payable is posted against a Payables general ledger account, referencing a Supplier and the corresponding open Supplier Invoice XYZ(XYZ represents the Supplier Invoice number). When checking the Supplier Account Monitor you notice that invoice XYZ is still listed as open with the full open amount, not taking the Journal Entry posting into consideration.
You were expecting the Manual Journal Entry to reduce the Open amount of the Supplier Invoice.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the General Ledger work center.
- Navigate to the Journal Entries view and choose Journal Entry Vouchers, click New.
- As Journal Entry Type select Manual Entry for Accounts Payable.
- Add a Payables g/l account (e.g. Accounts Payables - Domestic), state the amount, Supplier and Source Document reference.
- Enter a balancing line and Post.
In order to check the invoice status in the Supplier Account Monitor complete the following:
- Access the Payables work center and select the relevant Supplier in the Supplier Accounts view.
- Press View and and access the tab Trade Payables, Invoices/Payments.
- You notice that invoice XYZ is still listed under Open Items and the full values remains as the Open Amount in Transaction Currency.
Journal Entry Vouchers of type Manual Entry for Accounts Payables are not intended to act as clearing document against the referenced Supplier Invoice. These transactions serve as manual adjustment merely affecting the General Ledger. The referencing of invoice document XYZ is declaratory, and does not affect the Open Amount in Transaction Currency. Consequently neither in the Supplier Account Monitor nor in the Document Flow of invoice XYZ or the resulting adjustment journal entry a corresponding Clearing ID is listed.
In order to post adjustments against invoice XYZ, for the value that was entered in the Journal Entry Voucher you must make a manual adjustment as an Additional Discount or Credit.
- Navigate to the Payables work center and highlight invoice XYZ in the Supplier Account Monitor.
- Choose Clear Manually.
- Here you have the option to Apply Discount or Credit stating a Payment Difference Reason.
- Select Agreed settlement and enter the value that was entered in the Journal Entry Voucher.
Once Invoice XYZ is fully cleared the Manual Journal Entry write-ups/write-downs with reference to a source document automatically generate an inverse posting. You will also see the clearing ID will appear as reference on the Manual Journal Entry.
Please see Help Document: Manual Entries for Accounts Payable
Manual Entry for Accounts Payable, Manual Write-Up/Write-Down Accounts Pay, Additional Discounts or Credit , KBA , SRD-FIN-ACP , Payables , How To