This Knowledge Base Article lists some of the most frequently asked questions related to Product Master Data.
SAP Business ByDesign
1. What is the maximum number of Material we can have in ByDesign before seeing a potential performance drop?
There is no limit in creating and maintaining Materials in ByD. In case of huge Materials, there may be delay when Search for Materials in the Material screen. In these cases, please apply filters to narrow down the search.
2. Are the Material with the obsolete status considered in this limit ? Or can we consider that if a Material is obsolete it will not impact the performance ?
It is not possible to set the header status of Material to Obsolete. In case one of the processes if a Material is blocked then those Materials are also considered when you choose "All Materials"
3. How to add Serial Number Profile in Material view?
You have scoped Registered Products in you system but cannot see Serial Number Profile in Material view.
Follow the solution below:
- Go to Product Data workcenter.
- Select Material view.
- Open any Material.
- Enter Adaptation Mode.
- Open the UI Element Unnamed Group.
- You can see field Serial Number Profile with the Visible checkbox which is unchecked.
- Check this option and you will be able to see the field Serial Number Profile in UI.
4. How to add required colors to the fields for Product Master Data?
You can add the color of the Product Master Data using Adaptation Mode. Enter Adaptation Mode, you can edit required field and add desired color information.
5. Is replication of weights and volumes supported through Service - Replicate Material From Matmas IDoc In ?
The replication of weights and volumes through Service - Replicate Material From Matmas IDoc In is not supported.
You can transfer the Quantity related data to ByDesign using the ByDesign Material Web Services ManageMaterialIn.
Please follow the below blog for reference :
6. Is it possible to delete the Root Level of the Product Category Hierarchy?
Once you create and save the root level (Product Category), it is not possible to delete it. The reason for not allowing deletion of the root level is that it will generate inconsistencies in the system.
7. Delete or Rename a Sub Product Category Hierarchy?
It is possible to rename and delete a Product Category and its sub category, once it is saved.
For more details refer the KBA: 1576686
8. Is it possible to delete a Material or Service Product Master Data?
You cannot delete a Material or Service Product Master Data.
For more details refer KBA: 1411361
9. Is it possible to create more than one Root Product Category Hierarchy?
It is not possible to create more than one Product Category Hierarchy.
10. Is it possible to change the ID of a Product or Material?
It is not possible to change the ID of a Product or Material. You can block them and create new Product or Material.
11. Is it possible to increase the length of Material Description above 40 characters?
It is not possible to have more than 40 characters in the Material Description field. But you can maintain additional information about the material in the field details.
For details refer KBA: 1602248
12. Is it possible to change Base UoM for Logistics, Planning, Availability Confirmation and Valuation of a Material?
Once you activate the Base UoM for Logistics, Planning, Availability Confirmation, and Valuation, then it is not possible to change the value.
13. is it possible to add a new Unit of Measure for Quantities?
Yes it is possible to add a new Unit of Measure for Quantities.
For details refer KBA: 1675834
14. Is it possible to create Materials with same description and product category?
Yes, you can create number of materials with same description and product category because Services which ever created in the system are identified based on the service ID but not using Service description and Product category.
15. Why you are unable block Planning Area in Logistics, Planning and Availability Confirmation for a Material?
Once a product is activated for a planning area/site in Planning, Logistics and Availability Confirmation, it is not possible to remove it or make it inactive. If the status is still In Preparation then you can delete the planning area from the product data.
For more details refer KBA: 1617513
16. There are change in the Material and Service where the date and Changed By are available but there is no information about the source/channel through which the changes are performed
It is not possible to locate/identify the source for the changes. if you are able to find the Changed By, check with respective user for the changes.
17. How much master data can we store in ByD? And, how many years is the data stored in ByD? That is, after how long will the data be automatically deleted or deactivated?
Data deletion will not happen automatically. Refer to GDPR guide.
Same holds good for Transactional data too.
18. How many years is the Change History stored in ByD?
For example, if we modify the Material/Account master, we can see that the Change History is recorded on the Changes tab in Material/Account Master.
Change History records the changes corresponding to a single instance of the Business Object. Once the Change History is created, this can only be deleted via ILM processes as per GDPR guidelines.
FAQ, Product Data, Material , KBA , SRD-MD-PRD-PRD , Product , How To