You are unable to edit Target Texts in Messages for Language Adaptation.
SAP Cloud for Customer
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the Administrator work center.
- Go to the General Settings view.
- Click Language Adaptations (LA).
- Open Language Adaptation ABC (ABC represents the Language Adaptation ID).
- Under the Text Pool Selection facet, make sure that 'Get Message Texts' is checked.
- Collect Texts (after including any work centre - make sure not to include too many work centres in one LA).
- Navigate to the UI Texts facet.
- Click Edit.
The Target Text column is grayed out and you cannot edit either some, or all Target Texts. The same issue can happen for UI Texts and Messages.
The text you are trying to translate is locked by an already existing Language Adaptation XYZ (XYZ is the name of another Language Adaptation).
Only one Language Adaptation can edit any one particular text at any time. It is not possible to have write permission to the same text by multiple Language Adaptations.
This is, because each one text can only have one singular description at one time.
When you enter Edit mode and hover over the text, a tool tip displays the name of the original text pool (Original Text Pool: XYZ [XYZ represents the name of the original text pool]).
This only applies to the UI texts and messages since code and report texts do not have locks.
Once you use a text in one LA, it will keep write locks for all texts it has collected as the first Language Adaptation.
If you want to transfer the write lock to another Language Adaptation you will have to either delete the original, or use the 'cleanup' action which will free-up untranslated text.
If you delete the original, make sure that you have rescued all adaptations existing in XYZ by collecting the same texts in another Language Adaptation (ABC in this case).
After removing XYZ and re-collecting ABC you will see the write permissions being transferred to ABC now.
If you want to only write-enable the texts which were not yet translated in a first adaptation, use the Cleanup functionality in your original text pool.
- Open your original Language Adaptation XYZ.
- Navigate to either UI Texts or Messages (as needed).
- Click Edit.
- Click Cleanup (button link in top actions bar).
- Once the system has run the cleanup, click Save.
The unused/ untranslated texts that do not yet have a target text will be freed from the lock.
- Close Language Adaptation ABC.
- Re-open it.
- Re-collect the texts as needed.
- If a text was not yet used/ translated and the cleanup function was used, this text should now be write enabled.
SAP Help Portal: Translate and Adapt User Interface Texts
Language Adaptation, locked, blocked, greyed out, grey, gray, grayed out, Edit, text pool, Target Text , KBA , LOD-CRM-EMP , Employee , AP-RC-TXA , C4C Text Adaptation , How To