- You experience poor performance (refresh quality, slowness, sluggishness, waiting, ...) using SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC).
- You may also see these messages:
- The data cannot be displayed because the query returned too many records. Please try filtering your data.
- Os dados não podem ser exibidos porque a consulta retornou registros demais. Tente com filtragem de dados.
- No se pueden visualizar los datos porque la consulta ha devuelto demasiados registros. Pruebe a filtrar sus datos.
- Die Daten können nicht angezeigt werden, da die Abfrage zu viele Datensätze zurückgegeben hat. Versuchen Sie, Ihre Daten zu filtern.
- New! Watch the Tips & Tricks for Optimizing Story Performance webinar!
SAP Analytics Cloud
There are multiple reasons why performance may be affected. This knowledge base article (KBA) describes how to collect more information and test your network, browser and stories.
Troubleshooting steps (reproduce, isolate and document)
- Reproduce the problem (is the issue reproducible?):
- on more than one user’s machine (notebook, mobile device)?
- on the same notebook on a different network?
- on another story with the same connection?
- with a different user login?
- with both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge?
- after clearing the browser cache (Ctrl + Shift + Delete / Clear browsing data)?
- Isolate the source:
- When did the problem start happening? If it worked before, what changed? If it has always been slow, isolate and simplify the story.
- If at all possible, reproduce the issue on a responsive layout story, with a single analytic model using data acquired into SAC.
- Document clear steps when a performance issue occurs.
- Perform the same action with a different computer. Your computer may be affected by domain policies, browser settings or specific configurations for your user account.
- Check if other users in your location also experience the same problem.
- Confirm that correct client software and client configuration requirements at System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites.
- Enable the "High Performance" power plan of your computer's power option plan. See KBA 2327454 - Low performance occurs in tables / grid and other areas of SAP Analytics Cloud.
Your network connection has a significant influence on your experience. Steps to test your network:
- Wireless: We all love wireless but it is not as fast as Gigabit ethernet and other network adapters.
- Reverse proxy: Are you using a reverse proxy to access SAP Analytics Cloud? If so, verify that the behavior also happens when you connect to the public SAC URL and access the demo stories.
- Internet connection: Test network latency from your network to SAP Analytics Cloud. Warning! This is only an estimate. Go to the Network Performance Measurement Tool and test the network bandwidth and latency or use the internet speed test Web site of your choice and simulate a connection to the location where your SAP Analytics Cloud data center is located. See this link for further details on the SAP Cloud Trust Center - Data Center Locations.
- VPN: Using VPNs may affect your performance as you may be tunneling your request to SAP Analytics Cloud via your VPN connection. You can compare the performance when connected directly to your network. If you notice a significant improvement, contact your VPN administrator.
Stories (Canvas / Responsive / Grid pages)
- Quick win: Re-save the story to take advantage of incremental improvements since the last update of your system.
- Quick win: In the model preferences under Data and Performance, toggle on “Optimize Story Building Performance”. This prevents automatic refreshing of data during story design.
- Simplify story: Use canvas style stories to your advantage.
- If you do not need to display too many charts / widgets at once, split charts across different tabs (canvas) so they are not loaded at once.
- Review and implement the suggestions from SAP Analytics Cloud Best Practices for Performance blog. Updated continually! Please check this for latest updates.
- Review the Data Visualization Handbook for design tips and best practices.
- Minimize usage of restricted measures and use calculated rows and columns (in-cell / in-grid) instead. See KBA 2673776 and Adding Calculated Rows and Columns in a Table.
- Limit results with Top N (server side) but AVOID the Auto Top N (client side) feature. See Top N improvements and Filtering Data by Rank.
- Chart optimizations: Avoid charts with a large number of data points (>500).
- Table optimizations: Leverage Explorer instead of using large tables.
- Images: Resize SVG and PNG files to decrease download times of these files.
- Linked analytics: Linking too many charts will trigger updating their values every time the selection or filter changes.
- Settings: Take advantage of Progressive Chart Rendering. See article 2604574 for further information.
- Blending: Use the "Exclude descendents" option if the hierarchies have identical structure/members and ensure that the filtering is done using the currently selected members only (See linked dimensions).
- Geo maps / Geospatial: See KBA 2676310 - Story with geo map loading slowly in SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) and geospatial best practices.
Live Data versus imported data (acquired models)
- If you are using a live data connection, the web browser is requesting data directly from the source (backend / server) system. You can verify with your SAP HANA, SAP S/4HANA, SAP BW, SAP BW/4HANA or SAP BI administrator on how to test the performance of live connections.
- You can compare performance of similar stories using imported data (you can use the sample model, for example).
- For SAP BW and SAP BW/4HANA live connections, see attached document: How to optimize performance for on-premise SAP BW Live connectivity and review the Merging SAP BW Queries feature.
- For SAP HANA live data connections, see article 2591655 and the section Troubleshooting Multi-Dimensional Services Queries in the SAP HANA Platform online help.
Data actions (in Planning models)
- Reduce the calculation scope as much as possible.
- Avoid unnecessary FOREACH loops.
- Follow the General Rules and Best Practices tips for Performance in the SAP Help portal.
Capturing performance information in Google Chrome
- If you have tested all the previous steps and still experience performance problems, please conduct the following so that SAP Product Support can investigate further:
- Capture a HAR file using the Network tab in Google Chrome Developer Tools. See article 2413393 for further information.
- Capture a performance trace using the Performance tab in Google Chrome Developer Tools. See article 2280022 - How to collect HTTP archive files (HAR) files.
- Review article 2630653 - How to Troubleshoot and Trace SAP Analytics Cloud connecting to on-premise / acquired / imported data.
Cloud availability center and data center status
- The Cloud Availability Center offers a personalized dashboard with at-a-glance visibility into cloud product availability. Accurate, up-to-date information into the status of your cloud products, critical information, maintenance updates, notifications, all in one place. Read more about it here.
- Follow the availability of the platform at the SAP Cloud Platform Status page for real-time and historical data on system performance.
- Tips & Tricks for Optimizing Story Performance webinar
- 2327454 - Low performance occurs in tables / grid and other areas of SAP Analytics Cloud
- 2699872 - How to improve performance in the SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) app for iOS
- SAP Analytics Cloud Best Practices for Performance
- 2673776 - Restricted measures in the Cross calculations dimension causes poor performance in SAP Analytics Cloud
- 2591655 - Performance analysis when using SAP HANA Live Data Connections in SAP Analytics Cloud *** Master KBA ***
- 2569847 - Where can you find SAC user assistance (help) to use, configure, and operate it more effectively?
- Have a question? Ask it here and let our amazing SAP community help! Or reply and share your knowledge!
- 2487011 - What information do I need to provide when opening an incident for SAP Analytics Cloud?
- Search for SAP Analytics Cloud content using Google or Bing:
- Note: Add relevant text or warning/error messages to the text search field to filter results.
- SAP Analytics Cloud > Learning > Guided Playlists
- SAP Analytics Cloud > Learning > Guided Playlists > Getting Support
- Need More Help? Contact Support or visit the solution finder today!
Your feedback is important to help us improve our knowledge base.
slow, performance, speed, C4A, BOC, SAC, AnalyticsCloud, Analytics Cloud, SAP BusinessObjects Cloud, network connection, bandwidth, SAP Cloud for Planning, sc4p, c4p, cforp, cloudforplanning, EPM-ODS, Cloud for Analytics, Cloud4Analytics, CloudforAnalytics, Cloud 4 Planning, BOC, SAPBusinessObjectsCloud, BusinessObjectsCloud, BOBJcloud, BOCloud., SAC, SAP AC, Cloud-Analytics, CloudAnalytics, SAPCloudAnalytics, slower, Performance problem, stopped, slow, slowness, hangs, hanging, Cross calculation, sac bp performance sap kba , KBA , sac planning performance slow , sac perf kba perforamnce , oom , experience poor performance , bw4hana s4hana hdb bw4 , custom formula , custom calculation , sum function does not work in table , sac - performance problems on stories , for each loops for eachloops , it's taking over minutes to load taking , slowness , forever , sac production bad performance , performance issue with input story , performance for this story has degraded , how to improve performance in the sap an , sac performancnce kba troubleshooting , geo map loadng stowty in story slowly , slow performance perf , users experienced extreme slow performan , experience performace , lazy loading laz lazi rendered , experiencing very low performance , sac , and issues in displaying some tables in , sap analyst cloud, connected, failure, s , fail failed, stopped , geo map loadin slwol story , geo map loading slow story sac kba , LOD-ANA-BI , Business Intelligence Functionality, Analytic Models , LOD-ANA-PL , Planning , LOD-ANA-BR , SAC Boardroom , LOD-ANA-PR , SAC Predicitive , Problem
|How to optimize performance for on-premise SAP BW Live connectivity.pdf|