What is the supported number of characters in the "longDesc" and "shortDesc" fields in Job Profile Builder (JPB)?
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Job Profile Builder
Reproducing the Issue
When we try to add data into the longDesc field and while saving we get an error message that the field is exceeding its max length:
The longDesc and shortDesc fields in Job Profile Builder can only contain a maximum of 4000 bytes.
This is the standard behavior.
Make sure the total size is under 4000 bytes. But since there is no "byte counter" in the platform, you may add the description text to a note file (NotePad or any application that counts bytes) and save to see the total size (OBS: still some differences may apply).
In order to use NotePad to count your text's bytes, follow the steps below:
- Paste the text to a new file;
- Save it;
- Right click the file's icon;
- Go to "Properties";
- Under the "General" tab look for the "Size" information:
However, as NotePad does not consider and count signs, accents, marks, etc., you may also use F12 to byte count:
- Go to "Manage Job Profiles";
- Select the required Job Profile;
- Go to the "long-desc/short-desc" section;
- Add the text to it;
- Press F12;
- Click on the "Network" tab;
- Then, try to save the changes made to the Job Profile;
- On the F12 panel, there will be a "Name" section with two "jobProfileMgmtControllerProxy" options, click on the second one;