When trying to update an item that was added as External Content (typically OCN Courses) an error is received stating:
Cannot revise this item as the classification is External-Course
SAP SuccessFactors Learning
- OCN courses are no longer allowed to be revised, they do not support new revisions.
- When updating other information of OCN item the error can be caused by an improperly configured input file.
Note: While updating OCN items through the item connector:
- We cannot update title, description, length or add a content object or the item will be out of sync with OCN providers
- Make sure you are using the exact item key (item type + itemID + revision date/time = item Key) in the connector file
- We can update the items through connectors for credit/contact/CPE hrs, catalogs, subject areas
- You should never revise a OCN Item
- Learning connectors can import thousands of records in the system, so it's highly recommend to engage an Implementation Partner or SAP Professional Services before you attempting to use connectors or any data import, especially in a production environment.
- You may attempt to implement connectors on your own but in doing so, you assume full responsibility for your actions. While we provide safeguards when able, it is possible to load thousands of erroneous data in the system and end up incurring significant costs to correct them. Operational interruptions may be caused by having incorrect completion data; causing severe impact in regulated trades and industries. As with any other opt-in feature, it's highly recommend to do thorough testing before turning connectors on.
- If you chose to proceed, then begin with a very basic connector file using only the following required fields in your TEST environment:
- CPNT_TITLE (We suggest to include this but the connector will run without it)
- Once you have a successful load of the file, begin adding the settings you need modified, and once you are confident with your input file, you may try on production with one item first (in case there would be a difference in your connector properties and this produces a different outcome than on stage).
- REV_DTE this is not marked as required but if updating OCN items it is mandatory to include it or use the setting described in the SAP Note 2286589.
- Be SURE to include the revision date in the format of MON-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS
- Do not forget the seconds and be sure the month is in all capitals. Please see this SAP Note to learn how to capture the exact revision date.
- If you are not seeing seconds in the UI then you should change your preferences to view the seconds in the UI.
- Course (Item) Data Connector File Columns
- KB article 2168610 - How to get the exact time stamp of Item Revision detailed into seconds so you can update the current revision of item using Item Connector?
- KB article 2286589 - Avoiding Date/Time Issues with Connectors
- KB article 2419830 - LMS OCN Open Content Network Knowledge Support and Tips
- KB article 2473708 - Item Connector Support & Tips
sf, success factors, LMS, error, exception, not able to update OCN courses, OCN, Lynda, Harvard, Linkedin, lynda.com, modify course , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-CON , Connectors , Problem