- When trying to create a model from an Import SAP BW or SAP BW/4HANA connection in SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC), the following error is shown: "An error occurred in the BW service: Result set is too large; data retrieval restricted by configuration".
- Model on same query can be created successfully by using the live connection
- Tomcat Catalina.log contains the following error:
- SEVERE [pool-144-thread-1] com.sap.fpa.cloud.rest.bw.BWTaskRunner.readQueryData Error in BW ResultSet: SIZE_LIMIT_EXCEEDED - Result set is too large; data retrieval restricted by configuration
- SEVERE  com.sap.fpa.cloud.internal.DAException.logException Result set is too large; data retrieval restricted by configuration
- SAP Analytics Cloud
- SAP BW or SAP BW/4HANA via Import Data connection
Reproducing the Issue
- Log on to SAC tenant.
- Create a model using Import Data Connection to SAP BW.
- Select one BEx query having data more than 100,000 rows to build query.
- Click Create button in Build SAP BW Query dialog.
=> Note the error: "An error occurred in the BW service: Result set is too large; data retrieval restricted by configuration"
- BW Safety belt is reached per https://blogs.sap.com/2014/07/06/safety-belt-for-sap-bw-as-data-source/
- BW Safety belt parameters are excessively high
- Modify the existing BW query to decrease the number of returned data cells.
- Split the import into multiple queries and use the 'Append' functionality to add it to the same model in SAP Analytics Cloud per Updating and Scheduling Models.
- Increase the BW Safety Belt (Not Recommended)
Set BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_DEF and BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX to a large enough value to accommodate the data cells returned by your query per SAP Note 1127156 - Safety belt: Result set is too large
- Please note: Avoid setting safety belts limits to excessive values because they would be ignored and the error would persist
- Negative Implications of increasing the BW Safety Belt
- Increasing the BW Safety Belt may result in a negative impact on the BW system performance and, if too high, cause out-of-memory (OOM) dumps. It will also affect all other front-end applications, like Analysis for Office, SAP BusinessObjects WebI, etc.
- You may receive errors such as "An internal server error occurred in the Data Acquisition Service" requiring the increase of JVM memory settings for the Tomcat server where SAP Analytics Cloud Agent is deployed.
Increasing Tomcat JVM Memory
- Navigate to your Tomcat directory's "Bin" folder and Run "Tomcat8w.exe" as an Administrator
- Navigate to the "Java" tab
- At the bottom increase the values of "Initial Memory Pool" and "Maximum Memory Pool" such as 1024 and 2048 respectively.
Please make sure that the Maximum Memory Pool allocation does not exceed the amount of Physical memory on the machine which hosts your Tomcat and SAP Cloud Agent, as this may result in decreased performance, or crashing.
- 2358097 - SAP Analytics Cloud connecting to on-premise data (Import Data Connection) *** Master KBA ***
- 2569847 - Where can you find SAC user assistance (help) to use, configure, and operate it more effectively?
- Have a question? Ask it here and let our amazing SAP community help! Or reply and share your knowledge!
- 2487011 - What information do I need to provide when opening an incident for SAP Analytics Cloud?
- Search for SAP Analytics Cloud content using Google or Bing:
- Note: Add relevant text or warning/error messages to the text search field to filter results.
- SAP Analytics Cloud > Learning > Guided Playlists
- SAP Analytics Cloud > Learning > Guided Playlists > Getting Support
- Need More Help? Contact Support or visit the solution finder today!
Your feedback is important to help us improve our knowledge base.
EPM, SAP Cloud for Planning, sc4p, c4p, cforp, cloudforplanning, Cloud for Planning, EPM-ODS, Cloud for Analytics, C4P, Cloud4Analytics, CloudforAnalytics, Cloud 4 Planning, HCP, C4A, BOC, SAPBusinessObjectsCloud, BusinessObjectsCloud, BOBJ, BOBJcloud, BOCloud., BICloud, BO Cloud, connecting, conecting, conectando, conexão, modelo, SBOC, SAC, SAP BusinessObjects Cloud, Business Objects, SAC, SAP AC, Cloud-Analytics, CloudAnalytics, SAPCloudAnalytics, BW, size, rows, large, result set, limitation, limit, safety belt, bics, BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX, refresh failed , KBA , LOD-ANA-AQU , Import Data Connections (Acquiring Data) , Problem