|Warning: this KBA contains information about the implementation about the "External Learning User" feature. We highly recommend to get assistance from an SAP Certified Implementation Partner or SAP Professional Services for this process.|
- What is "External Learning Users"?
- How do you enable the feature "External Learning User"
- I am unable to enable the feature "Enable External Learning User" in provisioning, the following error message is displayed - "Please make sure Data Model and Picklists are configured according to implementation documentation."
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite
- SAP SuccessFactors Learning Management System
- External Users
Who is an external learner?
- A user record in LMS with a shopping cart of external
- Non-employee records that are added to the LMS as shopping account internal (e.g. contractors) are not considered external learners by the LMS.
External Learning User feature enables external persons to self register as a user and log in to access Learning. Before this feature can be enabled some configuration is required for the Data Model and Picklist values.
External Learning Data Model Configuration:
These configurations are required for both EC and Non EC enabled instances for the functionality to work and all fields must be configurated as listed on the table below.
Note : Employee Central enabled instances have the required data model XML for external learners configured by default. If you wish to verify the hris-elements you can do so using BCUI (Business Cpnfiguration UI) see SAP help how to setup and configure BCUI here
For Non EC Enabled instance see steps outlined on SAP Help under section Checking The EC Data Model for Elements Required for Extended Enterprise (External) Users
Following hris-elements are required In Succession Data Model for both EC and Non EC enabled. EC enabled instance will have the required hris-elements and hris fields configured.
|personInfo||N/A||The element is required but not any of the fields. There is no harm in also importing the fields.|
|employmentInfo||N/A||The element is required but not any of the fields. There is no harm in also importing the fields.|
|personalInfo||Although the three hris-fields are required, there is no harm in importing or using additional fields.|
|emailInfo||Although the three hris-fields are required, there is no harm in importing or using additional fields|
|phoneInfo||Although the six hris-fields are required, there is no harm in importing or using additional fields.|
|homeAddress||N/A||The element is required but not any of the fields. There is no harm in also importing the fields.|
- HrisSaveEntityData supports read of above entities except personInfo, and only supports write of personalInfo, emailInfo, phoneInfo and homeAddress.
- Any changes made to picklist configuration are outside the scope of Product Support. Data Model and Picklist configuration should be handled by Partner Services prior to enablement.
External Learning Picklist configuration:
You can create the picklist and not populate any values for your users but you cannot select only the ones you want from the list below.
Please see the following SAP Help Guides for more details
- Checking Picklists for Learning Extended Enterprise
- Required Picklist Example for Extended Enterprise
If you are using MDF picklist the following fields are Required:
If you are using the legacy picklists, the CSV file should look like this example when you import picklists for external learners. OptionId is system generated and the field should be left blank. In addition, You can configure the localized labels in the locale columns, for example, "en_US" :
Warning : The 3-letter country code setup in the LMS must match the 3-letter country code in the BizX setup to avoid an error when creating a new account via the LMS self-register site.
How to Enable External Learning User Feature Switch:
Once the configuration is complete note that both picklist and data model configuration must be exactly as outlined on the configuration guide, please go to Provisioning -> Company Settings and check "Enable External Learning User"
(This feature enables external persons to self-register as a user and log in to access Learning)
This features requires “Enable Generic Objects”, “Role-based Permission" (This will disable Administrative Domains) and “Enable the Attachment Manager”.
NOTE: If your changes do not save, then you must review your picklists, country and data model for these configurations must be exactly as outlined on the SAP help guide.
Create the role mapping for external users who sign up through external sites:
see KBA for more details 2389162 - LMS- External User - PreConfig in LMS and BizX
- For an explanation on the difference between USER ID and EXTERNAL ID, please see the KB article 2390723
- Please see the document attached with more detailed instructions.
- Please see the Value Series Webinar available in the Community for implementation guidance.
- Depreciation of the native login and incentive to enable the feature and migrate existing external user population has been communicated to LMS customer in the release webinars since 1805:
https://community.successfactors.com/t5/Learning-Resources-Blog/Q2-2018-Release-Information-Webinar-SAP-SuccessFactors-Learning/ba-p/203222?attachment-id=14968 (slide 83)
“support” for native learning user functionality will be limited to addressing defects. There will be no further enhancements made to such functionality and since it doesn’t align with product direction, it is in our plans to end support of native learning users by Q3 2020. Customers that continue to utilize this capability past that point will not be supported.
What is currently supported?
- External users logging in natively through Sites
- Learning Administrators logging in natively to the LMS
What is not supported?
- Dual login (authenticating sometimes through SuccessFactors platform and sometimes through the LMS)
- Internal users logging in natively
We advise our customers to engage with Professional Services so they can be prepared for this transition.
sf, success factors, LMS, External learning user, picklists Data Model, implementation documentation, USER ID, EXTERNAL ID , Enable External Learning User , Data Model , Picklists, "Please make sure Data Model and Picklists are configured according to implementation documentation." , KBA , LOD-SF-PLT , Platform Foundational Capabilities , LOD-SF-PLT-UM , User Management , Problem