Customer would like to know the difference between Assignment Profile 'Execute Changes' and 'Update Users and Assignments'.
SAP SuccessFactors LMS
Learning Management System
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Learning Administration -> Manage User Learning -> Assignment Profiles -> click Add New.
- You now have blank assignment profile record.
- Click Rules tab.
- The rules are like a WHERE clause of a SQL statement that selects users. For example, you can create an assignment profile that selects users where the users' city equals New York or Tokyo and where their start date was after the first of the year.
- Under Add Security Domains, search and add security domains to the rules as necessary.
- An assignment profile must have at least one domain rule in its set of rules. Users who match the domain are included in the pool of users created by the assignment profile.
- Under Setup Rules, click Add Rule to add a new rule that is connected by AND to the other rules in the assignment profile.
- When rules are connected by an AND, both rules must be true for a user record to be included.
- To join groups of rules with an OR connection, click Create Group.
- When groups are connected by an OR, a user record must match either the first group of rules or the second group of rules.
- Once you setup and save necessary rules, to preview the users in the pool created by the assignment profile, under Action -> click Download Existing Users.
- Update Users and Assignments
When you modify the rules of an assignment profile, you save the changes those rules so that SAP SuccessFactors Learning knows that it has a new way of grouping users in this assignment profile. For example, if you originally had an assignment profile that pooled all users with a job code (101), and then you returned and added a rule that said users with another job code (202) should also be in the pool, you modify the assignment profile's rules so that SAP SuccessFactors Learning knows to pool users with job code (101) and now also users in (202).
So we update users and assignmnets of these rules to make them stand and once done all users who fall under these rules will be picked as target population along with changes in the assignments to be done.
Following the steps, Actions -> Update Users and Assignments, attaches the users who are captured by the rules (the pool of users) with the assignments (catalogs, curricula, and so on) in the assignment profile.
- Execute Changes
Execute Changes is often used to check for changes in the user records and adjust the target population of assignment profile as per these changes. So if we return to the above example that has an assignment profile that after execute changes both users with job codes (101) and (202), let's assume that few users who used to to have jobe code (101) has changed their job or moved to another department and now they have job code as (303), note that we have no changes in our assignment profile rules and its target population still people with job codes (101) and (202) but some others as we said moved to another department and now have different job code or vice versa few have joined and get assigned the job codes (101) and (202). Here execute changes will go and check for these changes in the user records and adjust the target population of assignment profile as per these changes.
It will take care according to our example assign items/curricula to users who has moved into departments that have job codes (101) and (202) and at the same time remove exclude users who do not fall within that rule anymore.
Please also note that this Execute Changes can be conducted manually (at Assignment profile level) or scheduled from Automatic Process.
- Assignment profile level
Actions -> Execute Changes.
- Automatic Process level
Learning Administration -> System Administration -> Automatic Processes -> Assignment Profile Execute Updates.
- 2286448 - How to tell if an Assignment Profile is propagated;
- 2277602 - Report for catalog and assignment profile association;
- 2387287 - Recommended Collections in Assignment Profile - SuccessFactors LMS;
- 2282363 - LMS - Assignment Profile not Assigning Program to the users who are a part of the AP;
- 2287206 - Using an assignment profile to change user Roles
Execute Changes, Update Users and Assignments, Difference between Execute Changes and Update Users and Assignments in Assignment Profile , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-ASP , Assignment Profile , How To