- SUM reports that system start failed in the downtime phase MAIN_UPTRANS/STARTSAP_PUPG as sapcontrol was unable to start an instance, exiting with an return code of 1.
- To confirm you have the same issue examine the Instance.out and Phases.log log files, these logs should show a call to a instance which is incorrect in the context of your current system, such as
- Wrong Instance Number
- Wrong Hostname
- Retired (Deleted) Instance ID referenced
EXECUTING /usr/sap/trans/SUM/abap/exe/sappfpar check "pf=/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile/<file name>"
== Checking profile: /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile/<profile name>
1 ETQ399 SAPCONTROL MANAGER: startWait with host: isudbq and instance: 04
3 ETQ399 20130504221554: PID 11141534 execute '/usr/sap/<sid>/<hostname>/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -host isudbq -nr 04 -function StartWait 300 10'.
3 ETQ399 Process output written to '/usr/sap/put/SUM/abap/log/SAPup.ECO'.
3 ETQ399 20130504221554: PID 11141534 exited with status 1
1 ETQ399 SYSTEM MANAGER: SAPControl action START failed for instance 04.
1EETQ399 SYSTEM MANAGER: START of mandatory instance 04 on server <Hostname> has failed
2EETQ354 Starting system failed, rc="-1"
4 ETQ010 Date & Time: 20130504221554
1EETQ399 Last error code set is 'Process /usr/sap/<sid>/<hostname>/exe/sapcontrol exited with 1, see '/usr/sap/put/SUM/abap/log/SAPup.ECO' for details
System start failed
Earlier, validating the profile failed, see INSTANCE.OUT'
1EETQ203 Upgrade phase "STARTSAP_PUPG" aborted with errors ("20130504221554")
The system manager output in the Phases.log can show several errors, below are two examples and their respective causes:
- 1EETQ399 SYSTEM MANAGER: START of mandatory instance 40 on server <Hostname><Instance Number> has failed. Cause: Profile detected for old instance ID e.g ASCS moved scenario.
- 1EETQ399 SYSTEM MANAGER: Instance <Hostname> <Instance Number>not found. Cause: Physical rather than virtual hostname stored in profile.
SAP HANA 1.0
SAP HANA 2.0
KBA , BC-UPG-PRP , Upgrade Preparation , HAN-LM-INS-DB , Installation of HANA Database , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP ONE Support launchpad (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.