- Cross-Tab always shows the same tool tip information for each summary.
- How to display a specific Tool Tip for each summary in a Cross-Tab in Crystal Reports?
- On a large cross-tab, it is difficult to know to what row and column the summary is associated with. How to display the row and column name in the Tool Tip of a summary of a cross-tab?
- Note: Images and data in this SAP Knowledge Base Article is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- SAP Crystal Reports 2020
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, create a report off any data source.
- Insert a cross-tab and add at least one database fields for the:
How to display a specific Tool Tip for each summary in a Cross-Tab in Crystal Reports?
So it displays a different Tool Tip for each summary like: "Sales for Argentina in 1996"
- A cross-tab is an object that summarize information in a rows and columns format, and when viewing the cross-tab, it will always show the same tooltip for all the summaries, because it all comes from one object. Therefore, it is normal for the Tool Tip to always display the same information.
- To change the Tool Tip on a Cross-Tab to display the name of the row and column the summary is associated with, or any other information, create a formula for the Tool Tip to use functions like:
- Or any other Grid Value functions, depending on what you will actually want the tool tip to display.
- Below are the general steps on how to customize the Cross-Tab Tool Tip for a summary:
- Right click on one of the cross-tab summary, and select "Format Field..."
- In the "Format Editor", under the tab "Common", click on the "X-2" button for the option "Tool Tip Text"
- In the "Formula Workshop", create a formula using the functions: GridLAbelAt, CurrentColumnIndex, or any other Grid functions depending on the desired outcome. Below is an example of displaying the row name, and column name in the tool tip for a summary:
"Sales for " +
GridLabelAt ("myRowName",CurrentRowIndex) + " for the week of" +
Note: Many functions uses the rows and columns name as one of the arguments. The name of the cross-tab rows and columns are listed under the "Grid Value" functions, under "Row or Column Names"
- Click "Save and close"
- Back to the "Format Editor", click "OK"
Now, when viewing the report, and pointing the mouse over the cross-tab summaries, it will display a Tool Tip dynamically with the name of the row and column.
Note: A sample report on which the Cross-Tab Tool Tip has been customized is available in the attachment sections of the SAP Knowledge Base Article.
cr, CR, xtab, CrossTabs, Cross-tab , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , How To
SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2020
|Cross-Tab - Tool Tip.rpt|