- When generating a survey report, some of the data in the "Answer" column shows as a date. This is incorrect as it is not possible for the users to enter a date as an answer to these questions. The question only gives users an option to rate the course out of a number range e.g 1-5.
This is an issue with the way Microsoft Excel automatically imports and converts data.
While this is a known behavior of excel (see this link for more info https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Stop-automatically-changing-numbers-to-dates-452bd2db-cc96-47d1-81e4-72cec11c4ed8 ) the reason it is happening is due to the rating scale in use for the affected questions. Each rating on this scale will usually be just a number for each rating (1= '1', 2= '2' ,3= '3' and so on).
Taking the number 4 for use as an example; this would be exported from the affected scale scale as '4-4' where a more common scale in use for a survey would export for example as '4 - Agree.' While the latter example would have no problem being imported to excel; if you try to type '4-4' (without the apostrophes) into a blank cell in excel and you'll see our problem.
- There is no real resolution from the LMS side. Changing the rating scale is not advised as it will affect mean score going forward.
- Option A, use google sheets or another application to view the .csv report
- Option B, Use text import wizard to view this data in excel. See attached pdf for details
- Option C (NEW), See this community post regading implementing a custom report as a possible workaround
(a submission will be made by contributor on influence portal and a similar standard report may follow in due course)
Reports;LMS;Date;CSV;Excel;Display;Incorrect;Export;Exported;Shows;Wrong;Survey , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-REP , Reporting Data , Problem
|CSV report to excel with original formatting.pdf|