- Application error occurred while trying to save data for MDF Portlet
- Users are unable to save data for the custom MDF Portlet
"Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental."
- SAP SuccessFactors HCM Suite
- Metadata Framework (MDF)
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Employee Profile and access the MDF Portlet
- Click on Edit to add data for the object and click Save
3. Application error message appears as shown below
externalCode field for an MDF Object acts as a primary key value in maintaining data for the object. The externalCode field is used to create unique data for the MDF object based on the value entered in this field. In a user based MDF Object, a user is a unique value for the data being created for the object. Setting this field as Not Visible or Read Only will disallow to create data because the system cannot verify if the externalCode field has unique value or not and thereby resulting in the Application Error message on the screen.
Checking the Object Definition to verify if the Visibility of the externalCode field:
- Navigate to Admin Center --> Configure Object Definitions
- Select Object Definition --> Choose the required object from the dropdown
- Click on Details option for externalCode field of the selected object's definition
- Check the Visibility. If it has been set as Not Visible, set it as Editable
5. If the field has been set as Read Only, users will be able to add data on the portlet. However, if any admin user tries to create new data via the Manage Data page or tries to perform import, this field will not be accessible and data for any user cannot be created. Therefore, it is recommended to set the externalCode field as Editable on the object definition.
externalCode, Visibility, Editable, Not Visible or Read Only , KBA , LOD-SF-MDF-UI , UI Config, Layout & Rules , Problem