- Steps to be performed by customers before and after refresh activity for SuccessFactors Learning Management System
- Best Practices and Frequently Asked Questions on LMS Instance Refresh requests
- How to purge or manage Unsent Emails after the refresh
- Download the latest LMS Instance Refresh form
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP SuccessFactors HXM suite
- SAP SuccessFactors Learning
- After Refresh activity, customers may face issues related to integration, Connectors, FTP, etc . This happens because the configuration files of the target instance have been overwritten with the source instance configuration.
- Also after the refresh, the Target instance will have its OAuth Client Secret overwritten by the Source's. If OData API is used in the Target instance, it's mandatory to generate a new client secret to avoid any issues.
- To avoid such issues, refer to the steps provided in this KBA to be followed before and after the refresh activity.
- Refresh requests must be requested through a MEDIUM priority incident under LOD-SF-LMS componente and include the filled in Instance Refresh form (See the See Also section below) signed as an attachement.
- It is necessary to allow a minimum of 10 days (Business Days) notice to our Operations team to have a Refresh booked in. They will review the request and advise on the availability for the Refresh to be carried out and to approve physical completion date/time.
- Refreshes requested for 'as soon as possible' will be assigned the next available time slot. If your preferred date/dates is not available Operations will advise on the next available date.
- Refresh activity overrides all the data, configuration files and other configuration settings in the target environment and adds source data into it.
Source is the environment from where the data is being copied and Target is the environment in which the data will be pasted.
- The Target environment must be on the same or newer version than the Source environment.
- During refresh activity, the source LMS environment will still be available for users and admins. For example, if you have requested to copy Production data into staging environment, it will not affect Production environment availability. During the activity schedule, you can access Production environment.
- Why a refresh? for instance, you refresh your stage instance with production data so that you can test new configuration or functionality with actual production data before implementing the change in production environment.
- When requesting a refresh for LMS you should also refresh the related Bizx instance and vice versa to avoid data, access issues (sometimes naming conventions, user IDs and admin IDs differ between environments which can cause issues if we only refresh LMS or Bizx)
Before Refresh Activity:
Steps #2,3,4 are optional: if you do not disable it pre refresh, the scheduled will be copied over to the target instance and you need to ensure that you disable them afterwards if they do not need to run.
If you do disable them in the source environment prior refresh, then they will be disabled in the target environment as well and you will need to enable the ones you do need to run post refresh.
In case of notifications on step #2, please note that if you choose to not disable it before the refresh, users may receive some notifications from target and source instance after the source is copied to target. If this is something that have a huge impact on your business, we recommend to disable it before the refresh process.
- Reset an LMS admin password in the source environment so you can access the environment natively post refresh (see KBA
After the refresh has taken place, the integration between Bizx and LMS will be overwritten with the configuration of the source environment.
This means the ONLY way to access LMS target environment post refresh will be to access LMS directly (also called native login - e.g. https://company.plateau.com/learning/admin/nativelogin.jsp).
Note that for some customers this is not permitted, in which case, you should inform support beforehand so we can copy your BizX configuration and replace it next business day hours of the processor.
- Turn off notifications in both environments.
If your instance is on 1808 release
- Go to System Admin > Configuration > Global Variables and select Mail tab
- Deselect Enable email checkbox and click on “Apply Changes”
- Please copy the configuration settings present in your target environment for SMTP Server (this is specific to releases lower than 1911)
If your instance is on 2005 release
- System Admin configuration > Global Application Settings and select Mail tab (2005)
- Select disable and and click on “Apply Changes”
- Go to System Admin > Automatic Processes
- Deselect “Schedule This Process” checkbox and click on “Apply Changes”
- Go to System Admin > Connectors
- Deselect “Schedule This Process” checkbox and click on “Apply Changes
- Go to System Admin > Configuration > System Configuration
- Open each file in edit mode, copy paste the content into notepad and save as txt
- We reccomend taking backups of all files, but if you only want to backup the relevant ones, we recommend BIZX, CONNECTORS, REPORT_SYSTEM, iContent (onl.
- confirm you have know your SFTP password for the target instance (in case you are using separate SFTP accounts for separate instances)
- Navigate to Content > Deployment Location.
- Open the file in edit mode, copy paste the settings into notepad and save as txt or take screenshot
- Please note that the password is encrpyted in Deployment Location, so the copied password should be corrected manually.
After Refresh Activity:
- Replace all configuration files with the backup files in the target environment. This will surely help in avoiding new issues related to integration and Connectors after refresh activity.
- Please note that for SFTP password details are encrypted in the file and do not actually show the real value so copying and pasting may not be enough and you will need to input in the file the actual values again and apply changes.
This will not take care of admin emails which should be deleted manually or replaced in bulk using the admin connector.
- Login into LMS as Admin
- Go to System Admin > Configuration > Images
- Upload your company logo and other images as needed
- Please note that those will be copied over and can only be accessed by the admin who scheduled them (Reports > Report Job tabs) or from Bizx proxy.
Therefore, to avoid confusion, we recommend that you communicate with your admins to ask them to delete any recurring report jobs they might have in the source environment and they don't need in the target environment or to log in the target environment post refresh to deleted those jobs.
NOTE: From version b1705 it is possible to Purge the emails manually from the application.
To do this:
- In the Learning Admin interface select 'System Admin' > Tools
- Select 'Manage Unsent Emails'
- Select 'Delete Unsent Emails' - please see screenshot below as reference:
- Revert back Deployment Location settings in target LMS.
- Go to Content> Deployment Location> Refer to the backup screenshot and revert back the settings.
- Please note that the password in the backup screenshot is encrypted, you need input the correct iContent account password manually.
Support agent and CSM please refer Internal Memo to get latest refresh request forms.
SF, Success Factors, LMS, learning, Refresh, instance snapshot, DB, database dump, clone, process, LRN-61980, COSD-37358 , KBA , LOD-SF-SER-REF , Instance Refresh , LOD-SF-LMS , Learning Management System , How To
|LMS_Instance_Refresh Request Form_V1.2.docx|