When the Learning admin tries to manually create a Learning user, they receive the following Validation Error:
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
- The user ID you have entered was previously used. Please enter a new unique ID.
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental
SAP SuccessFactors Learning
Reproducing the Issue
- Access the Learning admin side >
- People > Users > Search and access the desired user >
- Actions > "Delete" > "Yes" >
- See an example of the steps.
This functionality was deactivated on the 1708 system version:
- You may find more information in the Release Notes
- The feature of User Re-incarnation via Connector and UI is not supported from 1708 release
- Information from Product Management:
Reincarnate is no longer available. Going forward, users created through Bizx use PersonGUID as the identifier. This allows them to re-use old IDs that are familiar to the user, and this will cascade to the LMS. Reincarnate for standalone learning users however does mean that old IDs will not be able to be used. This was an issue with data integrity and data privacy policies. If you assign the ID to a new user, there are still traces in the application audit tables from the previous owner of the ID.
Starting in the 1708 release, Learning will no longer support the user creation using an ID that has already been used (deleted/deactivated).
Update: After reviewing with Product Management, they have realized that the feature needed to be reactivated until the Learning application can be enhanced to account for the behavior in the BizX Platform.
The BizX Platform allows the reuse of IDs after a “permanent purge” process supported via DRM (which is a separate process than the softer purge than can also be done via DRM, which doesn’t allow ID reuse). Reusing IDs after a permanent purge places the onus on the customer to keep track of which user was deleted when and whether a different user claimed their ID, because if there is ever a need to look back in audit history, there will be no way to distinguish which user performed an action at a certain point in time. This auditing discrepancy is one of the reasons why we removed this capability.
However, since the ID reuse is allowed upstream in Platform, we will allow it in the Learning as well.
For 1711 (and via in patch in 1708), we will temporarily bring back the reincarnate feature via connectors. Based on current logic, this also brings back all user data.
In 2018, we will make changes to more closely align with Platform’s logic – that is, ID reuse won’t be allowed unless the user has been permanently purged in Learning. In that case, when the ID is reused, no additional data will be brought back.
This KBA will be updated once we have a confirmation when this feature will be depreciated.
FAQ - Additional Information
Q) Where can I get Guide?
A) Guide Handbook: Setting Up and Using Data Protection and Privacy
- Please click here to access b1708 Release Notes
- 2749427 - Unable To Permanently Purge user after a Soft Purge
- 2392076 - User Permanent Purge feature
- 2392094 - Re-activate a purged user via employee import feature
- 2830971 - Can learning history be re-added for a reincarnated user? - LMS
- 2853482 - Can the learning plan be re-added for a reincarnated user?
- 2561639 - Reincarnation of deleted user via user connectors
learning, lms, reinstate, reuse, create, new, add, bring, back, reincarnate, reincarnation, re-incarnate, user, id, delete, remove, deactivate, LRN-24510, The user ID you have entered was previously used. Please enter a new unique ID , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS , Learning Management System , LOD-SF-PLT-DRM , Data Retention Management , LOD-SF-LMS-CON , Connectors , Product Enhancement