What are the options to export or extract all of our data and forms from the SuccessFactors application?
The SuccessFactors application offers many powerful options for clients to extract their data and store externally.
- The first and probably most important consideration is that data is stored across multiple database tables, and due to configurations and calculations that occur in real time with data, generating a single raw data dump from your instance is not an option. Because of this, SuccessFactors provides powerful front end reporting and exporting functionality, we typically do not provide raw data dumps, or any backend reports other than what is already built into the product via the user interface (Admin Center & Reports.)
- These actions should be performed by an administrator with full company wide reporting rights via Admin Center, Classic reports, List Views and Dashboards. Data can be extracted or reported on in a variety of formats including csv files, excel spreadsheets, PDF's and HTML printouts.
- The client is responsible for exporting all data, setting filter parameters, setting processes, setting users reporting permissions, and validating that the export contains the required information.
- Clients are recommended to enable the "Archive & Print" feature in Classic Reports if it is not currently enabled. Please request Customer Success turn this on. This feature is an excellent resource to mass create and save PDF copies of forms externally of the product.
- Make sure the user exporting data has granted FULL reporting permissions for ALL divisions dept, locations etc so that all information is captured.
- Some reports may not export data for inactive users.
Since you may be exporting large extracts, if any excel report fails, it is likely due to limitations with excel. Sometimes it is necessary to slice up reports, either by year, or division, dept etc so as not to exceed Microsoft excel limitations.
Reporting and Extract Options
- Personal info, Background Info and Trend Data exports.
Go to Admin Center > Live Profiles > Export User Information (Data and Template)
From there you can run 3 reports and extract all existing data that may have been imported or saved from forms.
- Competency Libraries
If you have this data, then go to Admin Center > Managing Competencies and Skills > Competency Library. From there you can open and export any libraries you have the rights to export.
Go to Classic Reports > Objective Search >
in the report screen > Open Export Options >
Select all checkboxes to get a data dump of all available data points possible to export.
- Detailed Document Report
Go to Classic Reports > Detailed Document Report.
This report provides the most expansive abilities to export form data.
After setting your filter options > click Open Export options and check all boxes > select Export Doc Contents.
Note: If you select to export all values, the report will contain a large amount of data and many columns. The data for 1 form may be spread over many rows, and depending on the forms, fields may return blank data if your form was not setup with those fields. Blank columns do not necessarily indicate that the report is not working but rather that data does not exist.
Detailed Document Report is the report to use if you have a need to extract as much data as possible to re-import into another database. It will likely take some effort to reformat this data in a meaningful way in any external database. SuccessFactors does not perform any reformatting of data exports.
- Ad Hoc Reports
You can use ad hoc reports as an alternative to extract data for most modules. The benefit to using these reports is that they can be customized to get exactly what you need in most cases. Go to Reports/Analytics > Reporting Tab (in Ultra) > Ad Hoc Reports. See related solutions on how to use Ad Hoc Reports. Please contact Customer Success if you need to have any of the Ad Hoc Reports enabled for your instance. They are now available for most modules.
- List Views reports - Competency List, Behavior List, Objective List, Employee List
Use these reports to export to excel data based on your filter options. Since these reports all use defined processes, you may need to consider setting up new "Processes" designed with extracting your data in mind, as current processes were likely designed with managers needs in mind. Go to Reports/Analytics > List Views
- Dashboard Reports
You may wish to generate Dashboard Reports if you need to print out graphical reports.
Note: List View reports are the data behind Dashboard Reports, so using List Views to generate your reports makes more sense than Dashboards for the purpose of exporting data.
- Recruiting Management Data
The best option for extracting recruiting data is Ad-hoc reports. You will be able to extract data from:
- Job requisitions
- Candidates (data from candidate profile)
- Offer Letter
- posting Information
- Agency information
To start using Ad-hoc reporting for recruiting you create a report type of “Recruiting” or “Recruiting V2” (you should only have one or the other, not both).
Determine what type of information you need to extract.
For example, if you wish to know who are the operators for every job requisition, You would start by choosing certain fields from the “Job Requisition” data set that is on the left side bar(Job Req ID, Job title…etc). Then you can expand the “Job Req Operator” data set and add the appropriate fields such as Operator type, First Name, Last name. In case data cannot be exported via Ad Hoc Reports, you can also leverage the Integration Center and oData API entities for Recruiting. For further information please refer to the articles:
KBA 2491521 - Integration Center - User Assistance Documentation Link
KBA 2253326 - Create Report to Include "External Job Description" within a Job Requisition
- Recruiting Management - Candidate's Resumes and Cover Letters
Candidate's attachments can be exported via SuccessFactors Integration Center. An Attachment outbound Integration is now available to download these documents and upload to a SFTP Folder.
For further information on how to export these files, please check the KBA 2582360 - Recruiting Data Extraction Request - Candidate's Resume and Cover Letter.
- Recruiting Marketing Data
Recruiting Marketing has multiple options for extracting data. On most screens, you can access and extract nearly every single report and set of data as either a .CSV, .PNG image, .PDF file, or added to a full report for export.
- Employee Central
- Employee Data can be exported via Admin Center > Employee Export
- Use Analytics > Standard Reports to get much of the standard HRIS information
- Use Ad-Hoc reports to extract custom data sets beyond these Standard Reports
- Use Integration center and APIs (Read APIs, Compound API) to extract the employee Data
- Use MDF export for MDF based data
- Other Reports
Spotlight Reports, Spreadsheet Reports and other Classic Reports.
You can use the many reports available in Reports/Analytics to export data for the forms and audiences you need. This data may already have been captured in the reports and exports listed above and therefore not required.
Exporting Data with Standard Reports
A range of out of the box reports are available under Learning Administration > Reports. Most reports enable you to export the output as a delimited file, HTML or PDF file. For more details on Learning reports refer to SAP SuccessFactors Learning Reports
Exporting Data with Custom Reports
If you require a report that is not available as a standard report you can use the Plateau Report Designer Tool (PRD). PRD allows you to connect to the database schema for your Learning tenant and write any SQL query based on your requirements. To get started with using the PRD tool see the KBA - 2171592 - Process to enable the use of Plateau Report Designer (PRD).
Bulk data export with SAP Data Services
A SuccessFactors Learning license includes the ability to implement SAP SuccessFactors Learning Data Services, which provides you the ability to extract any data from Learning to meet your custom reporting requirements. To see more on Data Services, please see the documentation for more information. Data Services must be implemented by SAP Professional Services which does have costs associated. Please contact your SAP CSM/CEE/Sales/Account Executive to start this process.
One-time courtesy full data export for leaving customers
Customers that are leaving SAP can request a one-time SAP Data Services extract of their production data. You must submit a case to support to request this extract and ensure that it is submitted with reasonable notice in advance of your contract cancellation date. A zip of the extracted data to your SFTP account from where you can download it to your computer. The contents of the data export are listed on this page: SAP SuccessFactors Learning Data Services Packaged Entities (login may be required to access the document).
instance, full, data, export, extract, all, download, information, user, successfactors, learning, lms, plt, recruiting, ec , KBA , sf bizx performance management , sf bizx system/platform , sf bizx succession management , sf bizx employee central , sf bizx goal management , bizx analytics/reporting , LOD-SF-PLT , Platform Foundational Capabilities , LOD-SF-RMK , Recruiting Marketing , LOD-SF-EC , Employee Central , LOD-SF-LMS , Learning Management System , How To