- Goal Management
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to some frequently asked questions when it comes to how goals are ordered on a PM form. Keep these in mind to fully understand why goals on a PM form might not be ordered as you are expecting.
Note: It is recommended that your goal plan always include a category. This can be defined as a category element, enum value or using the default-category element. Even though you may not use categories or show categories, having one set is best practice, and will prevent some of the confusing examples shown below from occurring. Categories only show when you have 2 or more, so setting 1 default category will not impact your end user.
- • Q. Can I force a certain order for the goals on a PM form?
- o No. Currently goal ordering follows defined rules. The only control the user has in ordering goals therefore is to enter goals based on those rules.
- • Q. Why can't goals simply be ordered by the user via the goal plan's up and down arrows?
- o A. If a user did reorder their goals on the goal plan, this would affect the PM Form, however not all clients have the goal plan visible. Because some clients hide the goal plan there may be no ability for the user to access the plan to control the goal order.
- • Are goals ordered in the order I enter them? (First to last)
- o Not really. Unless you have preplanned how you are going to enter them, goals are not likely to end up in the order you are entering them.
- • What is the logic used to order goals?
- o Category, Order ID, Name, Number. Within Name the rules are numbers first, then capital letters, lastly lowercase letters (CUT comes before Cat)
GOAL ORDERING RULES
If there are no categories (default-objective) set on the goal plan it will order by goal name (objective_name). Goals appear alphabetically, and not in the order entered.\
Within OBJECTIVE_NAME there are additional rules.
- Numbers first,
- then CAPS,
- then lowercase.
Example order on goal names: 123goal, 456goal, AGOALS, Agoal
- If there are categories it will order by > OBJECTIVE_CATEGORY followed by OBJ_ORDER (hidden value), OBJECTIVE_NAME.
Goals appear to be in the order you enter them, within categories.
Goal Ordering on the Goal Plan
The above information applies to ordering of goals within a Performance Form. If your users can see Goal Plans they may note the ordering is different on the goal plan. Please refer to the following solution that explains goal ordering on goal plans: Goal Management: Manage Templates - Goal Numbering obj-plan-numbering
KBA , LOD-SF-GM-TMP , Template Management , How To