You receive the following error message when trying to add a GTIN in the tab UoM Chanracteristics of a material. Error: GTIN XXX not valid for UoM YYY; checksum digit is not correct (while XXX is a GTIN number and YYY is an UoM).
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Product Data work center
- Select Materials view
- Find and select the material
- Click on Edit button
- Click on View All button
- Go to General Tab
- Navigate to the tab UoM Characteristics
- Either click on Add Row or edit an existing GTIN
- Click on Enter
The check digit (last digit) for global trade ID number are calculated by summing the odd position numbers and multiplying by 3, and then adding the sum of the even position numbers. The final digit of the result is subtracted from 10 to calculate the check digit (or left as is if already zero).
The error is caused because the GTIN you supplied is not in adherence to the above calculation.
Maintain the GTIN with check digit as per the above mentioned calculation. If you need an example to understand the calculation better, you can find it on the official GS1 website:
- You can find an example how to calculate the check digit here: https://www.gs1.org/services/how-calculate-check-digit-manually
- You can also find a check digit calculator here: https://www.gs1.org/services/check-digit-calculator
GTIN code, unit, migrate material master data, , KBA , gtin , checksum digit , SRD-MD-PRD-PRD , Product , How To