Project manager, cost center manager, sales order responsible are able to approve their own expense report. As per your requirement, system should not allow the user to approve their own expense report.
You want to know how the system determines the approver of an expense report and is there a way to change the default approver determination.
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Travel And Expense work center
- Select Expense Report view
- Click on New and select Expense report
- Enter the Employee ID.
Here you can see that if Project manager, Cost center manager, sales order responsible creates an expense report, approver determined (Depending on the major cost object in expense report) in the system is themselves only. Hence these employee will be able to approve his /her own expense report.
The approver of expense report cannot be set by the user manually but automatically determined by the system. By default the approver is cost center manager, project manager or sales order responsible depending on the major cost object of expense report and the approval task will be sent to the approver. This default system behavior may cause that the approval task for expense report created by cost object owner, i.e. cost center manager or project manager, is sent to himself/herself for approval, which does not follow 'four-eye' principle. You may have a requirement that for this case the approval task of expense report should be sent to his/her reporting line manager.
Now there is no UI option available for you to select the approver determination mechanism. However we can change this default behavior from the backend.
There are five possible ways for expense report's approver determination:
- System standard: the approver is cost center manager, project manager or sales order responsible depending on the major cost object (cost assignment of receipt items) of expense report;
- Reporting line manager: the approver is claimer's reporting line manager no matter how the cost is allocated;
- Standard with exception for cost center managers: approver determination is like standard, but if the employee of the expense report is also the cost center manager of the cost center covering the largest part of the expenses, then the line manager of the cost center manager is the approver instead;
- Standard with exception for project managers: approver determination is like standard, but if the employee of the expense report is also the project manager of the project covering the largest part of the expenses, then the line manager of the project manager is the approver instead;
- Standard with exception for both cost center and project managers: this is the combination of item 3 & 4. Neither cost center managers nor project managers can self-approve expense reports claimed by themselves. Their line managers have to approve the expense report instead.
By default System will be determining approver based on the option 1 as mentioned above. If you would like to change this system behavior, you need to create an incident, in the incident explicitly specifying which approval mechanism you'd like to use and granting SAP the permission to change backend data.
KBA , expense report self approved , self approval , SRD-FIN-ACP , Payables , How To