Any number of the following symptoms may occur:
- After an installation completes you are not able to launch various applications as they fail with:
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the comm-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"
This can affect:
- Universe Design Tool (UDT) - designer.exe
- Crystal Reports 2011 - CRW32.exe
- Information Platform Services - InstallIPS.exe
- Central Configuration Manager (CCM) - SvcMgr.exe
- Central Management Server (CMS) - CMS.exe
- During the installation of BI4.x a popup message occurs during "updating system landscape directory":
"ActionAgentProc.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program"
- The Windows Application Event Log will report the following (similar message):
Description: Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\designer.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT, processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
- In the CCM, Services may fail to start:
ConnectionServer and ConnectionServer32 show as "Initializing"
Crystal Reports Cache, Processing Servers, Dashboard Cache and Processing Servers show "Running with Errors" or "Failed statuses. The Failed status displays:
"The executable could not be launched. Possible reasons are insufficient RAM or disk space, or an invalid filepath or working directory. Actual reason: CreateProcess error=14001, The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"
- SAP BusinessIntelligence Platform BI 4.0
- SAP BusinessIntelligence Platform BI 4.1
- SAP BusinessIntelligence Platform BI 4.2
- Various Client Tools
- All Supported Microsoft Windows Operating system versions
Master KBA, installer, installation, upgrade, side-by-side, sidebyside, logon failed, FWM23026, FWM 23026, Event ID 33, VC++, Visual C++ Runtime, MFC, Microsoft.VC80.CRT, sxstrace.exe, Activation context generation failed, biinst, emkba, mkba , KBA , bi40 , biinst , emkba , mkba , bi_bt , BI-BIP-INS , Installation, Updates, Upgrade, Patching , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP ONE Support launchpad (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.