You have created an expense report.
For this expense report you create a payment and in the respective clearing you maintain a discount of type 97 - Currency exchange differences.
You expect that the currency exchange difference is posted to a separate exchange rate difference account which you have maintained in Fine Tuning.
Instead, the discount is posted to the original expense account that you have maintained for accounts payable.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
In the Fine Tune activity Charts of Accounts, Financial Reporting Structures, Account Determination under Account Determination - Accounts Payable in the Exchange Rate Differences tab you have maintained G/L accounts for exchange rate differences.
0 - Pre-condition: You have created an expense report for an employee and a payment respectively.
- in the Payables workcenter navigate to the Supplier Accounts view
- In the Show field select All Employees.
- Select the respective employee and press View.
- In the Trade Payables tab select the expense report and the payment and choose Clear manually.
- Maintain a discount of type 97 - Currency exchange differences.
- Post the clearing.
- In the journal entry of the clearing you notice that the currency difference discount has been posted to the original G/L account which corresponds to the account determination group that you have maintained for payables.
- But you expected that the currency exchange difference is posted to one of the G/L accounts that you have maintained for exchange rate differences in the Exchange Rate Differences tab.
This posting logic is controlled by the settings maintained in the fine tune activity Posting Control Profiles for Procurement Processes.
The standard posting control profile suggests to post any kind of cash differences, such as exchange rate differences or cash discounts, to the original expense account.
But since FP4.0 it is possible to create a new posting control profile in which you can deselect the original expense account posting logic for certain payment and price differences:
Create a new posting control profile for procurement processes and assign it to the respective accounting principles:
- In the Business Configuration workcenter open the Fine Tune activity Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (either with a change project or from the Implementation Projects view and here in the Fine Tune phase).
- You might have to add this optional activity to the project - Choose Add to Project and then choose Open.
- In the new window first go to the task Posting Control Profiles for Procurement Processes.
- To create a new posting control profile copy the General Posting Profile: Choose Copy, change the Posting profile ID and the profile description.
- In the sub-tabs underneath you can maintain the payment difference posting settings for three procurement options: Procure for Consumption, Procure to Stock, Procure to Fixed Assets.
- If you don't want exchange rate differences to be posted to the original expense account, go to the Procure for Consumption tab, select 3 - Differences from Deviating Payment Currency and untick the box in the Post to Original Expense Account column
- Press Save and Close.
- Now open the task Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- In the new window you can assign the new Posting Control Profile to the respective accounting principles.
- Press Save and Close.
If you now maintain a payment difference of type 97 - Currency exchange differences in a clearing the payment difference will be posted to the exchange rate difference account maintained in the Exchange Rate Differences tab for Accounts Payable.
This also applies for other business documents, such as supplier invoices.
Currency Exchange, Difference, Expense Account , KBA , SRD-FIN-GL , General Ledger , How To