- A Time Hierarchy is required but the option "create a Time Hierarchy" is grayed out
- Visual Intelligence 1.0 SP06
Reproducing the Issue
- Acquire data from a Universe, or HANA offline
- Identify a date column which is mapped as a character field
- The column is qualified as a character string, not a numeric field.
- First convert the character to number
- Change the numerical display format on the generated column (optional):
- It is now possible to create a time hierarchy - the option is enabled:
- In the hierarchy editor, now qualify the relationships between objects:
- The smart dimension is now created for the Time Hierarchy:
For more complex scenarios where several columns (Year, Month, Day) need converting into a single Date field, the above approach has a side effect of creating multiple redundant columns. This can confuse users, and also adds a processing overhead.
- Advanced users may find the formula-builder more efficient, by: a) performing the 3 data-type conversions, and, b) combine the date-parts into a single date column ... in one step.
- Consider this column 'DAY':
- This can be transformed using the syntax: MakeDate(ToNumber(SubString(DAY,1,4)), ToNumber(SubString(DAY,5,2)), ToNumber(SubString(DAY,7,2))
gray grey greyed hidden not accessible selectable , KBA , BI-LUM-DIS , Lumira Desktop/Discovery , How To