- Error: "Failed to export the report", followed by: "Not Supported".
- In Crystal Reports, when attempting to export to PDF format a report that contains a flash document, it fails.
- Important Note
Adobe ended Flash support on 2020/12/31. The information in this SAP Knowledge Base Article was valid prior to Flash suppot ended. The recommendation is to remove Flash objects from the report.
- SAP Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, open a report with an embedded flash (swf) dashboard.
- Export the report to PDF format.
It will generate the error:
"Failed to export the report"
- The report used the Crystal Reports function:"ToXMLData" to create an xml string to pass the information from Crystal Reports to the Flash dicument variables. By default, this function converts whole number to a string with 10 decimal places, and the number 1 in the xml string looks like "1.0000000000". As the result the sum of flash variable text lengths exceeds the general limit of Crystal Reports text value limitation of 64K.
- The issue has been identified and logged under Problem Report ID ADAPT01641259
- The limit of the total number of characters that can be passed to Flash variable was increased from 64,000 to 256,000 in the following product updates:
- Crystal Reports 2008:
- Fix Pack 4.3
- Fix Pack 5.3
- Service Pack 6
- Crystal Reports 2013:
- Support Pack 01
- If it is not possible to apply the above product update for some time, or you have the latest product update and are still facing the same error because the string value is greater than 256,000 characters, then below are 2 potential workarounds:
- Perform the calculation in Crystal Reports, and then only pass data required for displaying pruposes to the Flash object. This will avoid sending a large number of characters to the Flash variables; or
- Manually remove extra decimal places within the flash variable using Replace function.
For example: Replace (ToXMLData(Data), ".0000000000","");
Adobe, Xcelsius, flash variable , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , Bug Filed
Crystal Reports 2008 V1 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2011 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016