- Invalid keycode.
- Error: 'The Product keycode is not valid. INS00140'
- When attempting to install Crystal Reports or Crystal Reports for Enterprise, it fails with the invalid keycode error.
- How to troubleshoot the invalid keycode error?
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- SAP Crystal Reports 2020
- SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise 4.0
- SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise 4.1
- SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise 4.2
- SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise 4.3
Reproducing the Issue
- Start Crystal Reports installation.
- Enter the keycode.
It then display the error: 'The Product keycode is not valid. INS00140'
- Invalid keycode error occur when:
- The actual keycode is incorrect,
- There is a failed previous installation,
- Conflict with a third party software,
- To successfully install Crystal Reports, follow the steps below:
- What is the product you are trying to install?
- Crystal Reports
- Crystal Reports for Enterprise
- Crystal Server
- What is the version of the product you are trying to install? ( Example: 2013, 2016, 4.1, 4.2, ... )
- Confirm you are using the right software installation package for the product and version you are trying to install.
The easiest way to know you are using the right installation package when trying to install the product, is to look at the upper left corner of the installation window. It will indicate the product and version you are installing. In the example below, the installation is for Crystal Reports 2016
It is very imporant to know the product and version, because the error occur often due to the keycode entered is not for the right product.
For example: A Crystal Server keycode is used to try to install Crystal Reports, or vice-versa;
Or the keycode used is for an older version of Crystal Reports.
For example: A Crystal Reports XI keycode is used to try to install Crystal Reports 2016, which will be normal to generate an error.
- If the installation package or the product keycode is not for the software you want to install, then:
- If the product keycode is for the right product you want to install, but the installation package is incorrect, then download the right software installation.
For information on how to download the software, see the corresponding SAP Knowledge Base Articles:
- If the installation package is the for the product you want to install, but the keycode is for a different product, and you have purchased the product, then request the keycode from the SAP License Key website:
For steps on how to obtain temporary keycode, see the SAP Knowledge Base Article 1288121
- 1636929 - Unable to install or launch Crystal Reports on a machine with CA Agent installed
- 1587982 - Error: 'The Product keycode is not valid. INS00140' when trying to install Crystal Reports
Important Note: This workaround is not supported, and will bypass the keycode validation when installing the product, but will still prompt for a valid keycode at runtime.
- 8.1 Rename IsKeyCodeValid.exe to IsKeyCodeValid.old at the following location of the Installation package:
- For Crystal Reports:
- For Crystal Reports for Enterprise:
- 8.2 Extract attached IsKeyCodeValid.exe, and copy it to the same location as above.
8.3 Start the installation again.
Invalid key, CR 2011, Designer, Xcelsius 4.0, Crystal Reports Server, CR , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , Problem
SAP Crystal Reports 2011 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2020