- Unable to enter large SQL Query in a Command Object.
- Error: 'Failed to retreive data from the database.' when attempting to add a large SQL Query to a report in Crystal Reports.
- How to add a SQL Query in a Command Object in Crystal Reports, when the size of the SQL Query is greater than 64 KB?
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- SAP Crystal Reports 2020
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, create a new report off any relational data source.
- In the "Database Expert", under the database connection, double click on "Add Command"
- In the window "Add Command To Report", enter a SQL Query that is larger than 64,000 characters:
SELECT 'Field Name 1', 'Field Name 2', 'Field Name 3' ...
FROM 'Table 1'
WHERE 'Field Name 1' = 'ABC' or 'Field Name 1' = 'DEF or 'Field Name 1' = 'GHI'
- After clicking "OK", it fails with an error like: 'Failed to retreive data from the database.'
How to add a SQL Query larger than 64KB in Command Object in Crystal Reports?
- The number of characters limit that can be entered for a SQL Query in a Command Object is 64KB
- If the size of the SQL Query exceeds 64KB, then it is suggested to create a Stored Procedure on the database side, then report off the Stored Procedure in Crystal Reports.
Note: For information on how to write a Stored Procedure, contact your database administrator, or consult your database documentation.
CR, Command Object, SQL Query , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , Problem
SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2020