You have created a new Unit of Measure in fine tuning (Quantities and Units of Measure activity) which you want to use in the Material master data. To use the newly created Unit of Measure you have maintained the Quantity Conversion for a Material. Now you try to either remove the entries or change the Quantities. But it is not possible because an error message is thrown which says that there are open business documents in the system. This is not possible as you have created, maintained and saved the Quantity Conversion only few minutes ago and you are sure that they are not used in any business document so far.
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Product Data work center
- Select view Materials
- Select a Material and select Edit button
- Select View All button
- Go to tab General
- Section Quantity Conversions
Here you try to change the Quantity Conversion or remove the rows but an error message is thrown which may be similar to the following error message.
Changing of the conversion is not possible; Used by one or more open purchase orders, source documents (general ledger), source documents of supplier invoice.
Conversion between Sales UoM XXXX and Planning UoM YYYY can't be batch specific.
Though the system may allow you to add new Quantity Conversions, a system check (Veto Check) has been implemented in such a way that if any Material where the new Quantity Conversion is maintained is used in any open business document (e.g Purchase Order) which is in open status or/and created before maintaining the Quantity Conversion the system will not allow you to change or delete the Quantity Conversions. The Veto Check does not check which Quantity Conversion is being used in the open business documents. It just checks if the respective Material is used in any open business document.
You need to close any open business document before you try to change or delete the Quantity Conversion.
In principle, there are two main check happens when you try to delete a Quantity Conversion maintained in a Material.
1. Whether the Material is used in any other Business Document?
-> It is not possible to remove the Quantity Conversion
2. Whether the target UoM (Quantity Conversion) is the actual UoM for other active processes of that Material. For Example: Quantity Conversion is 1 EA = 10 M; where M is Purchasing UoM.
-> It is not possible to remove the Quantity Conversion.
Here are some of scenarios which you can make a note: (For Example, we took Purchasing process of the Material for comparison)
1. Not possible to remove Quantity Conversion - if the Material is used in any other Business document
2. Not possible to remove Quantity Conversion - if the Base UoM and Purchasing (Status: Active) UoM are different where the Quantity Conversion is maintained between Base UoM and Purchasing UoM
3. Not possible to remove Quantity Conversion - if the Base UoM and Purchasing (Status: Blocked) UoM are different where the Quantity Conversion is maintained between Base UoM and Purchasing UoM
4. Possible to remove Quantity Conversion - if the Material is not used in any other Business document or any process is not activated
5. Possible to remove Quantity Conversion , if Base UoM and Purchasing (Status: Active/Blocked) UoM are same
KBA , SRD-MD-PRD-PRD , Product , Product Enhancement