- Parameter List of Values (LOV) displays with a value and a description.
- In Crystal Reports, how to change a Dynamic Parameter List of Values to only display the values when there is a description associated with the value.
A List of Values (LOV) was created to display a Country ID as the Value and the Country Name for the Description.
When refreshing a report it displays the following list of values for the Dynamic Parameter:
01 - USA
02 - Canada
03 - Mexico
How to modify the parameter prompt to only display the values only, which is Country ID, and note the Description?
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- SAP Crystal Reports 2020
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, open an existing report, or create a new report.
- Create a dynamic parameter:
- 2.1 In the Field Explorer window, right click on Parameter Fields, and select New…
- 2.2 In the Create New Parameter window, select: Dynamic, in the List of Values drop-down list.
- Still in the Create New Parameter window, under Value, select a database field you will like to create a List of Value for.
- Under Description, select a database field that provide a description for the selected value.
- Under Value Options, for the Prompt With Description Only option, we have the following choice:
When selecting True, it will display the description only like:
When selecting False, it will display the list of values with the values and description like:
01 - USA
02 - Canada
03 - Mexico
But their is no choice to only display the value.
- By design, when a Dynamic Parameter is created with a List of Values, with a field for the Value, and a field for the Description, it can only display:
- Value with the Description, or
- Description only.
But Crystal Reports does not have an option to only show the Values.
- An enhancement has been created to request the addition for displaying the value only for a Dynamic Parameter List of Values (LOV) that have a Value and a Description.
Note: An enhancement request (ER) doesn’t guarantee the requested feature will be added in a future product version, but it is an acknowledgment it has been added in the ER list for the specific product.
- At this point, since it is not possible to delete the description associated with value for the Dynamic Parameter LOV, the best that can be done it's to create a new parameter and only select a database field for the Value and nothing for the Description, then delete the old parameter from the report that contained the value and description for the LOV:
- Open an existing report or create a new report in Crystal Reports.
- In the Field Explorer, right click on Parameter Fields and select New.
- In the Create New Parameter window, enter a parameter name.
- Under List of Values, select Dynamic, to create a Dynamic Parameter.
- Under Choose a Data Source: select a database field under Value.
- Click the button OK to create the parameter.
- Delete the old parameter, and remove all the references from the report.
Since we did not select a Description field for the List of Value, it will only display the values.
Crystal Reports, CR, List of Values, LOV, Display values only , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , Problem