The description fields for a report that was designed in Crystal Reports 8.x may be truncated, if the report is viewed in Crystal Reports 2016, Crystal Report Application Server (RAS).
In a related issue, fields do not truncate even when the 'Can Grow' feature is disabled. If you export a report to HTML from Crystal Reports, or view a report through the DHTML, Java, or ActiveX viewers in BOE, the fields grow to accommodate the full length of the strings. The disabled setting for the 'Can Grow' feature is ignored.
How can these issues be resolved?
- Crystal Reports 2016, SP 8 patch xx
- Crystal Reports developer, for Visual Studio SP 29 and above
- Businessobjects Server 4.2 SP8 patch xx
These known issues have been assigned to our Developers, and affect the following products:
Patches addressing this issue are available as indicated below. With the updates, field descriptions in a report are no longer truncated. In addition, a registry key can be set to control the 'Can Grow' option for string fields that are viewed in HTML.
Once the update has been applied, set the following registry subkeys, which control the 'Can Grow' option feature for string fields viewed in HTML, to 'Yes':
Using the Registry Editor can cause serious problems that may require reinstalling the operating system. Business Objects is not responsible for any problems resulting from using the Windows Registry Editor. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. It is recommended that you back up the registry before you edit it.
- A printer must be selected for the report under the File | Printer Setup menu in Crystal Reports. If 'No Printer' is selected in the 'Print Setup' box, then the registry subkey will have no effect.
- “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\SavedData”, the type is String and the name of the key is "TruncateClippedFieldStrings" value = "Yes"
- Note - if the key does not exist then add it.
CR, cr for vs, SP Service pack, truncated, can grow , KBA , BI-DEV-NET , BI Software Development Kits (SDKs) - .NET or Other , Bug Filed