How can I create a report in Crystal Reports (CR) based on the following file types:
CR can report from text or ascii files as long as an ODBC data source has been configured for the file.
Configure the Data Source
To configure the ODBC datasource:
- Open the ODBC Administrator in the Control Panel. Click Add in the User or System DSN tab.
- Click the Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv) > Finish from the list of loaded ODBC drivers. Name the DSN.
- Clear the Use Current Directory option > click Select Directory to browse to the directory location of the .txt/.csv/.asc/.tab file used as the data source.
- Click Options >>. Click the file type from the Extensions List that corresponds to the file.
- Click Define Format to further define the text format for the ODBC driver.
- Highlight the file used as the data source in the Tables window.
- Select Guess on the top right side of the dialog box. The ODBC driver determines the location of the breaks in the file that indicate a new column. The corresponding data types are also displayed just below the list of column names.
- Add the columns. Assign the data types.
- Click OK and exit the ODBC Administrator.
NOTE: You can also manually add a column and assign a data type to it from within this dialog box.
Reporting off the Data Source
Once configured, the ODBC DSN is made available as a data source within the Logon Server dialog box window in CR. The newly-configured text driver data source from the list of ODBC DSNs appears. Simply select that DSN and as with other data sources a list of objects that can be inserted into the report is provided.
.CSV .TXT. .ASC .TAB ODBC REPORT DATASOURCE DSN CONFIGURE Seagate Crystal Reports Data Source configuration Text / Ascii files , c2007719 , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , How To